Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thursday Stuff

Sort of like going to the smorgasbord and choosing chow mien, roast beef, and spaghetti and meatballs.
There's just no rhyme or reason.
Anyways, during one of my interwebz excursions, I was looking up something about World War II and came across some interesting, at least to me, stuff.
Navy ships named after local places.
Of course we got the USS Honolulu, a nuclear sub, but not many folks know about the WWII cruiser also named USS Honolulu.
As it happens, there was also a USS Kailua, an auxiliary, a sort of do all ship.
Amazingly there was also a USS Lanikai.
I also found a book:



Quite an interesting story, mostly about the fall of the Far East and Philippines right after Pearl Harbor.
Also about this crazy journey these folks on USS Lanikai made down to Australia.
In like a wooden boat.
No really.
It seems the Navy commandeered this inter-island trader for some sort of secret WWII mission.
It's also a little glimpse into what it was like in that part of the world at that time in history.
Sort of reminds me of that movie The Wackiest Ship in the Army.
Today, I also got this:



Yes I know le Tour is long over, but when it was on I wanted to get to know more about it's history.
I haven't started into it yet but there are more pictures of folks with tires wrapped around their shoulders and gearing meant flipping over your rear wheel.
I gotta say, every time I see these pictures of riders with like two tires wrapped around their arms, I get an image of Steve A. doing his thing is DFW.
In the What Was I Thinking(WWIT) category, I also got me some of these:



I won't get into them now, but you can read about them here.
More on them later, like this weekend where you can read about them well, here.
Speaking of here, it will be a plate and platter weekend cause I got 50 lbs. of clay to go through.
Maybe some bowling too.
From clay to bicycle bling.
I should write a book.
I'm also working on a Flat Tire Investigative Report(FTIR) on my frame obsession which is now like 139 pages long so I'll have to post it up in parts.
Okay, not really.
About the 139 pages thing.
Maybe.

No comments: