Friday, June 21, 2013

Sand Island Recreational Area

Or something.
I mean I always thought it was called Sand Island Beach Park, but I guess that's not the case.
More on that later.
Anyways, I got up today and I had rained.
Which is not unusual for most days, we get a morning shower of some kind.
Still I had reservations about going out for a ride.
So I gave it an hour or so, you know, to dry up the roads and it looked okay.
So off I went!
This is what I gotta ride on to get to Sand Island:




















There's no bicycle lane and it's on a sort of busy area where tractor trailers and such rumble on by.
It can get difficult as it's two way pedestrian/bicycle traffic here.
Also here:



















After that though it's smooth pedaling.
Kind of.
I stopped off on the way to check out Keehi Harbor:



















I gotta say, the camera doesn't do the water justice.
It was gorgeous!
In water kind of a way.
A little further down the road is another boat ramp area, with a BMX track:



















Tomorrow is like free race day, so I'll try and get back to check it out.
Some kids enjoying the laziness of summer:



















In the background is Mokauea Island, the place I went with the biology class two years ago.
I stood there for a bit, remembering what it was like to have summers off with nothing to do and nowhere to go.
Then I also remembered that I did have summer off with nothing to do and nowhere to go.
Except for today.
I have places to go and things to see.
So off I went!
Another mile or so down the road and I finally hit the gate:




















I decided to ride all the way in and ride the shoreline back out.
While I have been here before, I never had the time to really check the place out.
It's getting late so I'll save Part Deux for tomorrow.

No comments: