Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sunday Special pt. I

Well.
Lemme say that every time I'm on vacation, I can't help but feeling like I should be doing something.
Like a nagging guilt, it's an uneasiness I get when I'm just sitting around.
Of course I do my best to overcome it.
Hence my love of the couch.
Don't you know.
I think it also stems from knowing that I should be using this time to do things I don't normally have time to do.
I was thinking this today as I was watching Law & Order.
So off I went!



















Crossing the bridge over to the Sand Island Recreation Area.
No reason, just decided to go this a way instead of that a way.
Except today, I followed this dude:



















Around a locked gate and over a dirt road that followed the shoreline.
I wasn't sure if I was trespassing or not, but hey! it's Sunday and no one was around.
More dirt roads and I found myself here:

























Whoa!
This is nice!



















The road winds through some brush and stuff; abandoned recreation stuff I think.
I passed by what looked like an ATV track and coming back some place that turned out to be a park for remote control cars.
Down the shoreline to the point:



















There were a few folks out and about as this is the back side of the abandoned ball fields I saw during an earlier visit.
Prevaricating Garmin info here.
If you look at the map, the whole area I just came through is actually part of the park, it's just not accessible by car.
You have to walk or bike to get here.
Well the afternoon sun was beating down on me and that water looked good so I did this:



















Then I did this:



















I did that for a while, just sitting looking over this:



















Sort of a Wish You Were Here moment.
Okay, not really.
I was having a pretty good time there by my lonesome.
Well I couldn't just sit there sunning myself all afternoon, I had places to go and things to do!
So off I went!
After putting my shoes back on.
I wanted to see where the road linked up to the park and I wasn't far from where I was:



















Remnants of pillboxes at the point.
Obligatory shot of Diamond Head:



















Well it was getting on the late side and I was getting hungry so I had to head on back.
I climbed up a little hill at the abandoned ATV place just so I could look around:



















As the crow flies, I'd estimate that downtown Honolulu is less than a mile away.
Part deux coming up.

No comments: