Thursday, July 18, 2013

I Think I'm Getting Better

As in practice makes perfect.
I was on Sand Island today, you know, taking pictures cause I'm a picture taking fiend.
To get closer to the water and on the rocks I had to move off the path on the well, off the path.
Wrong move.
It was covered with this:



















Except not the green stuff, the hard brown stuff.
I sort of knew they were around so I got off the bicycle and rolled it the four or five feet to a tree so I could lean it.
Checking my tires I discovered two pokeys, one in the front, one in the back.
I pulled them out and everything seemed okay.
Yeah right:



















Since I already pulled out the pokey thing, I had no idea where the puka was.
This was going to be a full tube change.
Which I did like I was in the pits at Bicycle NASCAR.
Or Formula Bicycle.
Or something.
Except that pump is for my roade bike so it took me like 260 pumps to get it well, pumped up.
The tire I mean.
Soon I shall be able to change out a tube with my eyeballs closed.
I have a feeling I'll be getting more practice.
If you know what I mean.
Anyways, I'm also practicing my sunset pics.
Getting the settings down so now they are starting to make sense:

















Okay, not really sunset, but more like twilight.
Using that 16-35 is sort of tricky but I'm getting better.
I think.
I mean the angle is so wide, you really have to think about your composition.
Here's another, taken from the same place but slightly further back:

















Both are longish exposures, I think the top one was about 2 or 3 seconds, the bottom one was 13 seconds.
I'll probably blow one of them up to a 16x24.
You know, to hang in the office.
Incentive sort of, to make it through the day.
Not that I need any help.
Don't you know.
Finally, I got give a shout out to AdoramaPix.
When they got my email about that flaw in the print I had, they didn't email me back.
They called me on the phone.
After I explained the flaw, they said they'd reprint and get another one out in the mail.
Oh, and keep the other one.
Awesome.
What's not awesome is my camera and all the dust it accumulates.
More on this later.

4 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

I think I'm going to send you a better tire so that you can concentrate more on pix and less on flatz.

limom said...

I was considering getting a set of kevlar tires, but I'm only here for another month and then I'll be back riding mostly on the road.
Maybe some tire liners for now.

GreenComotion said...

No tire can protect you from them suckers.
The photos look good.
Will a longer exposure yield a creamy wave texture?
I wonder.
Paz :)

limom said...

Mr. Tuffy to the rescue!
I hope.
I think I could have stopped down a bit more to get a longer exposure.
I didn't want to go all the way down cause you get a bit of coma and lose the sharpness.
I'll have to go back and shoot that again.