Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Not If But When

Back to the beach!
Paper said there was a chance of a building swell from some storm down south.
So off I went!
I considered taking Big Mama with me, but I don't really have anything to carry it with so I left it home.
Besides, what happens if I crash?
That's a lot of glass to be hitting pavement and wouldn't you know?
More on this later.
I stopped off at Aloha Tower to get a cold beverage and a sushi.
The paper also said that the local college, Hawaii Pacific University has taken over the marketplace and will use it for classrooms and stuff.
Interesting.
I also noticed that the tower was open to visitors.
Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever been up to the observation deck, a whopping ten stories above sea level.
So up I went!

















Awesomeness!
The harbor entrance with Sand Island Recreation Area on the right.
Where I came from:

















The golfball boat below.
I had the place to myself so I could have stayed there for hours.
I didn't though.
Stay for hours I mean.
I had to check for surf!
Whoa!
What's this?

















Some kind of stealth boat.
Or something.
It was sort of parked out of the way, you couldn't really see it from the road.
Then again, it's smack dab in the middle of the harbor so it's not like it was hiding or anything.
At the park I caught this dude:

























It was plenty windy but he was going for it!
Slacklining.
He almost made it all the way across.
I gotta think that a slack line is more difficult than a tensioned one.
Maybe.
I shoulda took more pics of him, but I still hadn't seen any waves.
Sort of:

















The kids were making the best of their last 13 days.
The waves weren't as big as I thought they would be, but the swell is supposedly still coming up.
I moved on down the beach:

















The submarines coming in.
Must be getting late.
I wonder if they saw any fish?
This dude did:

























There was a time when I used to go fishing a lot.
Now when I see big fish like that come in, it makes me sort of sad.
I guessed around 300-400 pounds.
It was 285.
Back to see if the surf was coming up, I spied this:


Can you see it?
Squint yer eyeballs.

















A dude had taken his young daughter out to surf!
I didn't have enough lens so I cropped the image.
Too bad I didn't have Big Mama.
Sort of.
Canoes were coming and going:

















Entrance to Ala Wai Yacht Harbor and Ala Moana Beach.
The one closest is a double hull canoe.
Not very fast.
Must be some kind of punishment.
I was thinking today, as I watched the sun go down, how often I stop to see it.
Almost never.
How many sunsets have I missed because I was too "busy?"
Too many:

















They got the right idea.
Apparently they aren't the only ones:

















Flat Tire Earth machine there on the right.
Wait, what about the not if but when?
Huh?
Oh that!
I took a spill trying to hop a low curb about a mile out from home. 
I almost turned back as I scurbed my elbow and leg and tweaked my wrist.
I soldiered on though.
For you, the reader.
Thankfully I didn't have my long lens!
I would have walked in front of a passing truck if I had broke that.
Anyways, soon I'll be living right up the street from Ala Moana so hopefully I won't be missing too many more.
Sunsets I mean.
Wish you were here.


No comments: