Monday, November 8, 2010

Progess and Progress?

Okay, this is going to get strange cause I'm writing this today and you, the reader, will be hopefully reading this tomorrow.
Or in your case, today.
See what I mean?
So anyway, today(your yesterday) I spent most of day working on some clay stuff.
If you've been following along at home, you remember that I signed on to do a craft fair in order to fatten up the ole Flat Tire coffers.
Selling out?
I hope so!
The way I figure, I need at least fifty ceramics somethings to make a good go at it.
My friend Kyle hopefully will partner up with me so that we have a greater variety of things.
Kyle does these craft fair all the time so he knows what moves and what he ends up taking home.
Me, I'm just testing out the waters.
I don't have the kiln space for normal craft fair stuff like bowls and platters, so I'm sticking to my normal forms, only smaller:



Bottles and vases baby!
I mean bud vases and vases baby!
I did those yesterday(your day before yesterday or Saturday).
I'll also do some small planter thingys, maybe even put some cactus in them.
Probably make some regular type mugs too, since they're pretty fast and easy to make.
Final tally for the weekend: fourteen stuffs.
Oh and I managed to do these:



Progressing right along!
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed some activity up the street from The Flat Tire Central.
Well, actually more than a couple of weeks.
It seems that a new development is opening up right on the hill above.
Now I vaguely remember that strip of land when we first moved here, like thirty years ago.
Every couple of years, some folks come by and cut some trees and clear some area, but nothing really happened up there since like forever.
Until now:



That area has been a sort of dead end with a stop sign.
Which should have been a sign of things to come.
The stop sign I mean.
The first thing was the prerequisite sign announcing the development and the lots.
Then they started to clear the over growth.
When the fences came up, I can only guess.
I mean I only live like a hundred yards away.
Okay, the fences came up some time last week, about the time they started to move some serious earth:



I had planned to take my bike and check things out, but that was before the fence and the locked gate.
I would think it's a pretty nice view from up on that hill:




You can see in the bottom picture that they are coming right on down the street.
Well, not my street exactly, more across the street, right behind the neighbor's houses.
I feel sort of bad for them, I mean all these years you got nothing behind you then one day, a construction fence comes up and the writings on the wall:



Folks gotta live somewhere.
What with the Target and Whole Foods stores coming up.
I didn't bother to check by I hope that it's at least single family homes and not townhouses or something.
I guess I could call it you know what, but I hesitate to use that word until I see what impact it all brings to the area.
I'm thinking back and Kailua now sort of reminds me of Lahaina or Kailua-Kona way back when and well, we can see what happened in those once small town areas.
No, I won't use the P word just yet.

No comments: