Saturday, November 20, 2010

Taking Care of Business, Inspiration From the Deep

Bachman Turner Overdrive!
Boy, it's been a while since I've listened to them.
Actually, I got me some Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings on a Guess Who CD.
Those were the days.
Not what this is about though.
I sold a couple of them MTB mugs!
Hooray!
Sort of.
I mean it only took like two months for someone to finally hit the buy button.
I was sort of getting bummed, ready to donate those mugs to like Goodwill or something.
Okay, not really.
Being new to this sort of thing, I was scrambling to figure everything out.
The shipping thing, the Paypal thing, making the invoice, it was DEFCON 1 for about a half hour there.
The postage on the box I shipped out was like $13.47 or something, way too much to be sending out a coffee mug.
Maybe it's all that newspaper I stuffed in there.
I'm sending the other mug out this morning, hopefully it will be closer to what I'm expecting.
Gotta hit The Warehouse up and see if I can score any free boxes, for buying them from the UPS store ain't exactly cheap.
I'm pretty stoked though, two sales in three days.
Well, actually that's two sales in like sixty days.
Still, that paid for my tires.
Which should be hitting these shores any day now.
Like any day now.
Soon.
Hopefully.
So anyways, one of the blogs I check out is called A Darker View.
Andrew posts from where no man has gone before high up on a mountain on the Big Island of Hawaii, way up above the clouds on Mauna Kea, in an enclosed dome which houses one of the most important telescopes ever to peer into the night sky.
That's right sports fans, he works around those two shiny things called the W.M. Keck Observatory.
Actually it would be way more cool if he worked at the Hubble Space Telescope, but that's another fantasy.
I wrote a short paper on Edwin Hubble a while back though it was actually he and Vesto Slipher who found Einstein's "Greatest Blunder."
Not what this is all about, again.
Andrew is an avid diver.
An avid diver to me is anyone that dives deeper than six feet, and goes out more than once a year.
Anyways, along with his impressive astrophotography(one day, I'll get there) he also posts up images of life way down there, stuff I don't usually see.
So one day, I'm looking through his blog and he posts up this image of something called a nudibranch.
Not kidding.
Now, I've never seen one, much less heard of one, but apparently Andrew spends some time using up precious compressed air hunting them down and photographing them.
I thank him.
For it was one of his images that inspire this color combination:



Andrew's nudibranch here.
I'm working on getting a nicer blue.
So anyways, I spend a lot time sitting around trying to decide what glazes and color combinations to use when there they are all around me.
Okay not really.
The nudibranch that inspired this I believe was found at a depth of forty feet and I don't spend much time down there.
Actually, I don't spend any time down there so it's not really all around me but you get the idea.
Nothing like good ole Mother Nature to help expand the color palate!
So thank you to Andrew for posting up that picture of something I never saw before and probably will never see in real life.
Just goes to show that you can find inspiration all around you.
I'm thinking an astronomy or diving themed mug is in the works.
Soon.
Oh, and You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.

6 comments:

Oldfool said...

You should check out USPS flat rate boxes. They supply the box. When I was selling on ebay I found that in most cases the post office was cheaper than UPS.
Paper is heavy and is not a good choice for packing unless its all you got. I like bubble wrap and airbags but I always had a saved supply from incoming stuff so I don't know what it cost if you have to buy it. I detest foam or foam peanuts.
I like popcorn. You can eat it while packing with it. Best not to butter it if you are using it for packing.

limom said...

Oldfool,
I checked out those flat rate boxes and I think they're sort of on the narrow side.
I got some nice boxes today from The Warehouse and those were free so I'm good with that.
I priced out some bubble wrap and while it's not exactly cheap, I may have to spring for some.
Right now, paper works the best for I can pack it in tight!
I would try popcorn, but all I got is the buttered stuff.

Steve A said...

So, you gonna tell us more about these mysterious tires?

limom said...

Steve A., I am so glad you asked!

Rat Trap Press said...

I like that nudibranch color combo. Andrew takes some nice photos.

limom said...

Andrews photos make me envious.
Especially his astro photos.
I'm still working on getting a nicer blue, something closer to actual nudibranch camo.