Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ten Off

So I'm looking through my email this morning and I see that good ole Nashbar has yet another sale going on.
Good no?
I've been waiting for this kind of sale for I've been thinking that I need some socks.
More socks, I mean.
See, I started off this whole cycling thing in typical fashion.
Get it? Fashion? Socks?
Nevermind.
In other words, I wore what I brung and just got on the bike and rode away.
That worked for about six months.
Then I discovered synthetic fabrics.
Being a cotton man myself, this was something of a revelation, these new fangled high tech materials that supposedly absorb your sweat faster than you can well, sweat.
This would have been nice to know about since back in my pre-renal condition, I perspired profusely.
I mean bad:



Okay, maybe not that bad, but you get the idea.
I still perspire, but it's more of a dainty sweat.
In a masculine sort of way.
So anyways, my footsies would start to get all tingly and numb sometimes on rides so I started to wonder what the big deal was about cycling socks.
I mean my usual cotton socks were okay:



I even had those low cut jobs:



I hardly wear those socks anymore because when I do I feel like I'm wearing girly socks, you know, the kind with the pom poms hanging in back.
Okay, these don't have the pom poms, but they feel like they do.
The problem with these cotton socks is that they tend to stretch out over time and the ankle part becomes sort of a cuff:



Not very aero, having those things flapping in the wind.
The cotton socks also tend to get a bit toasty, especially riding around these parts, and they don't exactly wick moisture.
Well, I got me a pair of free socks when I ordered a jersey from the folks at Love2pedal:



Not being the ostentatious type, the flame socks sat in my sock drawer for some time before I decided to try them out.
Not too bad!
I wasn't digging the flames though.
So I decided to take the plunge and get me some real cycling socks.
Probably make me faster, right?



Now I'm really liking my new camo cycling socks and I was thinking that maybe I should wear this kind of sock all the time.
I mean do a lot of standing around at work, and sometimes I notice my dogs start to get all hot and bothered so maybe these space age socks would be better.
The only thing is, they cost like an arm and a foot.
Even on sale.
Well Mr. Flat Tire, why don't you just wear the socks you got to work?
The thing is, at work, I wear only white socks.
Image is everything don't you know.
So I'm sitting here cause it's like election day and school is out so I'm thinking about getting me some white cycling socks but ten off is not really doing it for me.
Actually I've been thinking about getting white socks for some time now but the thing is, the folks at Nashbar know I've been thinking about getting some white socks and they just won't put them on sale.
This ten off thing is just a test, I know as soon as I get them, the socks will go on sale for like twenty percent off.
Ten percent off.
They can't fool me.

5 comments:

TrevorW�� said...

It's so true- the number of times I have waited and waited for that 20% off and then given in and bought anyway only to find a week later that the price drops..! I'm glad to hear that it's not just the UK where that happens.

Steve A said...

I paid like $3-$4 for cycling socks at the HH100 and am now adding to ones of the wool variety for winter. Mostly, I get them for Bday and Christmas.

Oldfool said...

I never wore socks when I lived in Hawaii except when I had to dress up like an airline pilot. Then I didn't put that part of the uniform on until I got to the airport.
I haven't had socks on here in Louisiana since early April or real shoes either for that matter. I guess I should look around for my shoes as it is November. I found my socks already. It's hard to miss them as some of them are pretty bright.

John Romeo Alpha said...

My brother says that one of his fundamental goals in life is to wear socks less and less as he gets older. He'll know that he has achieved his goal when he never wears them at all.

limom said...

Trevor, they are watching.
I just know it.

Steve A, I don't recall ever getting socks as a gift. I would hint, but no one ever pays any attention to me.
Hence this blog.

Oldfool, there are some that come to work in slippers(flip flops to you folks on the Continent) but that just don't work for me. Gotta look professional and all that. For a while though, it was white socks only.
I had to stop at the store on the way to my brothers wedding to buy me some black wool dress socks. I thought I had a pair laying around but couldn't find them.
True story.

JRA, I could never live a true sockless life. If I tried, my shoes would start to develop a life of their own and the Center for Disease Control would have to be notified.