Sunday, November 7, 2010

Weekend Cactus Update!

Okay, I know I've been slacking off on the cactus updates, but I've been sort of busy and it's not like they're growing any faster.
Sort of.
I was looking at my army today, and got a few surprises.
The neobuxbaumia looks like they're ready for transplanting:



I gotta go to the plant place and get me some of those two inch square plastic pots.
By the looks of it, at least two dozen.
Wow! That means almost all of the seeds I put in there germinated!
Coolness.
The Saguaro is hanging in there:



I think.
Honestly, I don't know what to make of them. The color bothers me a bit, but they've been that way for some time now. A couple of them dried up and died, but the rest seem okay.
Still, grey?
The action continues in the opuntia pot:



I don't know about you, but that don't look like no prickly pear cactus to me. The other varieties I tried just won't germinate, so what I got here is highly suspect.
If they start to get pokey, I'll be one happy cactus dude.
Hot agave action right here:



I ordered a variety pack of seeds so I got no idea what kind of agave this/they are/is. Seems like they are happy though.
The rest of them are sort of coming along, millimeter by millimeter:



They all look about like this. I think once they start to get a little pokey means they're doing okay.
More on this later.
I'm not sure what kind of cactus this is, but it's growing fast!



Time to change pots, so I glazed up a bigger pot the other day and it was in the kiln that fired the other night.
I haven't been able to identify it, I'll wait to see if it flowers.
The fuzzy cactus seems to like his/it's new home too:



In fact out of all the cactus I bought and transplanted, only one of them didn't make it. That one seemed like it was okay when a couple of weeks ago, I noticed it was turning brown.
We've had a lot of rain here lately, and I wonder if the soil got too wet.
The starter I took off the alien cactus didn't make it either. The alien cactus has got a bunch of new thingys hanging off of it, so I'll try it again.
Now I got these three cactus that I think are what they call tooth pick cactus. They call it tooth pick cactus for the spines are like well, tooth picks.
Well, the ones I got, they look more like tall green sea urchins:




Check them bad boys out!
I mean seriously, I could start to take of some pokey things and make some native type weapons like blow darts or something.
The interesting thing is the lower spines are way small.
Again, I don't know if it's the wet weather we've been having or what but they look like they're trying to contact the mother ship!
All I know is I'm glad they're on my side.

2 comments:

Andrew Cooper said...

Green-grey is probably OK on the saguaro. And the opuntia do come up with normal looking leaves at first, they will develop pads in the next level.

limom said...

Whoa! don't tell me you do cactus too!
Thanks!
I just did some opuntia research and it seems they are not exactly drop and grow.
I see why my other opuntia seeds did not germinate.
Must do my homework on this.