Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Final

Who loves ya baby?
I'm sitting here thinking of Telly Savalas, Kojak, because I can't decide on whether or not to get tires with some treads, or just go bald.
Like in slicks.
Or in my case, semi-slick(s).
Time to just hit the buy button.
I didn't make it out today, it rained off and on, on and off, mostly on when I wanted to go out so I concentrated on the clay.
Production work is a little different from just fooling around.
First you wedge up some clay in the appropriate size/weight:



If I had to guess, those balls there are around two to three pounds. When working one type of form, it's good to have some consistency.
Then you get all your bats ready:



When I'm doing this kind of stuff, I use these plaster bats which aren't made of plaster of paris kind of plaster but of ceramic type plaster which dries harder.
Plaster is porous so while the clay sticks to it, once it dries, it releases quickly.
Then you get the wheel ready:



Usually the wheel is clean.
Sort of.
Since I'm working on this stuff all the time, I've been lazy and I just let it go.
I'll clean it later.
Maybe.
So then, you sit down and crank out your forms.
Hopefully.
Since I didn't ride today, I figured I better catch up on the glazing since I had this stuff sitting around waiting:



Actually, the kiln was half loaded so I managed to do four more things before closing the lid and setting the timer.
I hope all that stuff comes out.
I'm trying out some new glazes so I'm sort of anxious to see how it goes.
Since I didn't ride today, I decided it was bike maintenance day.
I mean it's been so long since I rode, I don't remember the last time I cleaned the chain.
Then I was thinking about moving the front tire to the back, and using the Conti on the front, but then I turned on the computer and started looking at tires again and here we are.
Again.
Tread, no tread.
Tread, no tread.
Kojak?
Lollipops.
Well I don't have any lollipops around, but I do have this stuff:



So now I'm sitting here, eating this stuff which has got to be the worst stuff in the world to be eating, watching Law & Order and thinking about Telly Savalas.
I think I'm going to take them tires off and put them in the garage.
Maybe seeing my nekkid wheels will force me to make a decision.
Like tonight.
Maybe.

No comments: