Friday, February 18, 2011

Changes Before the Change

So, the Great Celeste Devil Makeover Challenge(GCDMC) is on!
Sort of like Pimp My Ride, except with a bicycle.
Actually, I wish someone had like stolen my bike and Overhauled it, but I guess that's not happening.
Thing is, before I decided to do what I decided to do, I had already decided to do some other things.
If you know what I mean.
The rear derailleur for instance.
If you've been following along at home, you, the reader, remember that I discovered it was cracked at the cable binder thingy.
Well, it was working fine and all, but just to be safe I went and got me another Mirage derailleur, only that one turned out to be a long cage so even though that one worked fine and all too, it was looking a bit out of place seeing as how I got a 13-23 cassette and am running standard rings up front so I went ahead and got me another derailleur except finding old Mirage derailleurs isn't easy so this time I went ahead and got me an older Chorus derailleur:



Thankfully, that derailleur works fine and all but unfortunately/fortunately it'll come off when the new group arrives.
So much for that.
I'm glad now I didn't go out and get me a front derailleur even though the front derailleur I got now works fine and all it's not a Mirage derailleur but an Avanti derailleur and it just doesn't the match the rest of group on the bike which doesn't really matter anymore now that there's a Chorus derailleur in back.
Which happens to work fine and all.
The Chorus derailleur I mean.
Besides collecting derailleurs, I've sort of started a collection of celeste bar tape, if two sets of bar tape can be called a collection.
Now why in heck do you need two sets of celeste bar tape Mr. Flat Tire?
I'm glad you asked.
It seems that all is not equal when it comes to celeste bar tape.
The colors are different, subtle, but different:



The Original Bianchi Tape is sort of a lighter, happier, glossier bar tape and the Cinelli Tape is sort of a dull, speckly, working class tape.
The thing is, I don't even know if I'm going to use the celeste tape at all for I prefer how the black tape looks.
Right now.
Watch that Cinelli bar tape by the way, it was a bit holy in some places:



Maybe it was blessed by the Pope or something, you know, being Italian and all.
Well, seeing as I had the celeste bar tape, I wanted to see how it would look.
I did a sort of mock up of the celeste look:



Not sure now I feel about that.
I mean it looks good and all, but sort of well, too happy.
The look I'm going for is celeste and nasty!
The celeste bar tape looks like it would attract women and children, not make them run away in fear.
The Celeste Devil should be intimidating like, not all happy-happy.
If you know what I mean.
So anyways, just wanted to try some things out before the Great Celeste Devil Makeover Challenge(GCDMC) moves into the next phase.
Celeste and nasty.
I may have to come up with something a little more catchy.

7 comments:

Big Oak said...

You're mock-up looks like my finished wrap job!

Steve A said...

It must have taken a lot of work to relabel that SRAM Rival derailleur as "Campagnolo Chorus."

Seriously, when you do the celeste tape for real, consider doing it as an overwrap of the black tape. Extra padding.

limom said...

Big Oak, you can make fun of me next!

Steve A., a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and I got some SRAM for you.
Wink wink.
I was looking at some of that fizik bar gel stuff for extra padding, but not too sure I need it.
Eventually I'm going to use Specialized Roubaix tape, I liked it on the Allez I had.

Apertome said...

Normally I'm not a fan of black handlebar tape -- I think it's generally kind of boring -- but on this bike it does look really good. Menacing, as you were saying. That said, I *do* like the Celeste option too. So in my view you really can't go wrong.

It's sorta interesting to me to see you obsessing over each part. I don't think about my bike this way at all. Then again, I don't know what I'm doing, when it comes to working on bikes, either.

Rat Trap Press said...

Personally I prefer the black tape on celeste bikes. The celeste tape won't look as good as the black after few months of hard riding.

John Romeo Alpha said...

Celestial Overlord.

limom said...

Apertome, it's the nit pickyness of the Artist at work; everything must be perfect.
Sort of.

RTP, the accumulation of dirt is what I'm sort thinking of too.
Since I got it, I may run use it.
At least for a little while.
I really like that Specialized tape though.

JRA, what?
Celeste Overload?
Already?