Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Do I Really Need One More?

Do I?
Seriously, I can only use one at a time.
Having a choice is great and all that, and I guess one can never have too little, but really, one more?
Well okay, I guess each one serves a purpose, it's not like just one can do it all.
Then again, there are those that manage to get by with just one.
Gear that is.
As opposed to eleven.
Which is one more than ten.
Which is one more than nine.
Which is what I got now.
If you catch my drift.
See, I've been trying to convince myself, without much success I might add, to take a hard look at Campagnolo Chorus.
Forget Record.
I mean I'm Campagnolo Crazy and all, but Record is for like the criminally insane!
They haven't come up with a diagnosis for the Super Record folks.
I think they're from another planet, or maybe a different galaxy.
So anyways, back to eleven.
I figure I use like three gears.
Okay, maybe four.
So I keep thinking, just what am I supposed to do with the other seven?
Sure they're purty and all, in their carbon and alloy glory, but I got better things to do with like a hundred and fifty bucks which is what a cassette will set you back.
Okay, you can cheap out and go with a Miche or something, but even that's a hunsky or so.
If I only use like four gears, I've wasted like seventy bucks!
Sort of.
I mean them extra gears are on stand by.
You got em iffin you need em.
I suppose.
Yes, it all comes down to owning the greatest latest stuff.
Bragging rights.
Image.
Which is a good thing.
Everything even.
Under normal conditions.
I gotta say, talking myself out of something I don't really need has been difficult for I purchase a lot of stuff I don't really need.
Like for instance, another frame set.
I haven't quite talked myself out of that one yet, but I'm working on it.
More on that later.
Nine gears has sufficed quite well thank you.
Actually, one of them olden days five speed jobs could probably do the ahem, job too.
More!
I need more!
Or do I?
Need one more gear.
One more frame set.
One more fork in my road to bicycle nirvana land.
Hell, do I even need go Campagnolo at all?
Okay, let's not get carried away.
Boy, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this eleven speed thing and stepping up to the plate.
If you've been following along at home, you, the reader, know that stepping up to the plate is something that I usually have no problem with.
All because of one more.
One more gear that I may or may not need.
I'm starting to think like Chorus ten speed.
Ten is a nice even number.
Now, about the frame set.
More on that later.

5 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

Ten seems like enough to me. Or nine. Seven may be all one actually requires. OTOH, if you are going to 10, why not 11?

limom said...

Why not eleven?
For what eleven will set me back, I can pretty much get a whole 105 bike with ten.
I'm crazy, but not that crazy!
Maybe.
About the crazy part.

Steve A said...

The problem with three gears is they have to be THE RIGHT three gears. You need to get seven or eight so that the right three are amongst the ones that don't get used.

John Romeo Alpha said...

So, to paraphrase Steve slightly, 11!

limom said...

Boy, you guys ain't making this any easier.