Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday Final

Ah yes, things are back to normal in Flat Tire Land!
The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, the tourists were out touristing.
The beach, like on any beautiful Sunday, was crowded!
Folks were out in force with their picnic tents and jumpy tents.
The water was filled with folks doing well, water things.
Out near Popoia Island, or Flat Island as it's also known, the surf dudes were like well, surfing!



Here's one guy who has a different way to get out to the break.
Have someone tow you out:



Boy, I don't know about you, the reader, but that's about as embarrassing as pushing your bike up a hill.
I've mentioned the Lanikai boat ramp the unique technique it takes to launch a boat there. I finally got a video of some folks doing their thing.
It's only a small boat, it's rather dramatic with a larger one.
First, like a normal launch, you back up your boat and vehicle.
Now here's where it gets different.
You stop your truck and unhook the trailer.
Then you tie a long rope to trailer and, well, here's the video:



The folks that do this all the time, the regalas, got this down to a science. They just gas the vehicle, pulling the trailer out of the water, stopping the vehicle up ahead.
The trailer has just enough momentum to roll all the way up the rear of the vehicle.
Impressive!
That's right!
We do things a little different here in Kailua.
By the way, as I'm writing this, I'm watching an evil eBay auction on a frame.
You know, just to see where it ends up selling.
Anyways, because I only managed like 14 miles yesterday, I decided to add on a couple of extra miles today.
On my second pass around Lanikai, something was going on:



There were like two other firetrucks in addition to the search and rescue guys. I don't know what or who they were looking for, it wasn't anyone right off shore.
Then, this showed up:



A lifeguard with some swim fins jumped in and they took off around the corner towards the Mokuluas, the twin islands around Lanikai Beach way.
Came back a few minutes later and dropped off the lifeguard dude, so maybe it was a false alarm.
Then again, the touristy types take all kinds of risks, especially when going out in the water.
It only looks nice and calm.
There have been rescues of folks who got blown out to sea and were found the next day like miles out there!
Sort of like riding a bike: it's easy going out with the wind, not so easy coming back against it!
So anyways, today was such a nice day out, I managed to get myself a bit sunburned!
I was sort of surprised for I ride so fast the Sun's photons can't catch up to me.
Once I sprinted so fast, it started to go dark.
Oh wait.
That was the time I passed out and Hoku had to call me an ambulance.

No comments: