Monday, February 14, 2011

Monday Cactus Update!

Well, it's been a while since we've taken a look at the ole Cactus Army.
Last update was a couple of months ago, if you are interested, it can be found here.
Since we've been experiencing Valley Forge like conditions, I think they've gone all hibernating on me, sort of hunkered down for the winter.
If you've been following along at home, you know that watching these cactus things grow is sort of like watching grass grow.
Wait.
Bad comparison for grass grows like exponentially faster than cactus.
It's more like watching ice melt at the North Pole.
Still, there's been some progress:



The Saguaro is finally looking like well, cactus!
We're coming up on a year so I should see like about a half inch of growth.
Or so.
The opuntia is also looking cactus like:



It's been slow, but it's been cool to see it change from a weed looking thingy to half cactus like.
I can't wait for it to start flattening out more well, opuntia like!
The two agave are looking good too:



As I mentioned before, I wish I knew exactly what kind of agave they were, but I got the lime and salt standing by just in case they turn out to be the right kine.
Now the neobuxbaumia has been going through some subtle changes.
After transplanting them to separate pot thingys, and with the onset of winter like conditions, they seem to have turned a darker green:




The top image was a couple of months ago, the bottom is from the other day.
I'm not sure if it's a winter thing, or maybe they are just maturing.
So far so good:



As for the others, well, not much progress there.
I mean I guess there is, but it's like so slow, I have a hard time seeing it.
Maybe I should start like measuring them.
Or something.



It's been interesting watching these things grow, even if it's like millimeters at a time. I mean for some of them, they look the same as they did like three months ago, but for the others, you can see the change.
Maybe I'll see more growth once we get out of this ice age of a winter.
Ahem.

4 comments:

Big Oak said...

It is fun watching those plants grow. And they live a long time, too!

Steve A said...

I do agree it is fun to hear about them. Daily would be too often.

John Romeo Alpha said...

Although I think a cactus cam for constant monitoring is not needed, it is interesting to get an update report on their growth once in a while. At what height does the army march? And where?

limom said...

Soon the Cactus Army shall rise up and conquer the world!!!
or at least part of the yard.
Cactus cam?
Hmmm.