Thursday, February 3, 2011

Making Progress

So, ever since I got the road bike, I've been back to working on cadence and cardio.
Basically, I spin at around 90-100 rpms, all the while keeping my heart rate below 145 bpm.
The hardest thing about doing this, is keeping the speed down, keeping a pace and not letting your heart exceed a certain rate.
It's not easy going slow.
Or is it?
Just by getting on the road bike, I've picked up about a mile an hour on my average speed.
I can use this average for I pretty much ride the same route during the week.
At least for now.
Anyways today, I went out for my usual spin around Kailua and was pleasantly surprised to see that I picked up another half mile per hour.
I guess this training stuff really does work!



I'll continue this regimen for another three weeks or so, working my way up to a taller gear.
If I can get my average speed up into the fifteens, I'll be a happy camper.
I was going to try and do a hammerfest like JRA of One Speed: Go! fame and really test the legs, but the longest uninterrupted flat I got is just a little over two miles. I also didn't feel like inducing a heart explosion or a spontaneous leg combustion:




Maybe next month, I'll start trying to do some intervals again, but for now, I need to try and regain the aerobic fitness I lost from last year.
Hopefully my cadence increases too, but I sort of feel comfy turning 90-100 rpms.
That's a humungasoid difference from back when I only used to average like 75.
Which brings up a sort of strange problem.
The problem of getting a compact crank or staying with a regular 53/39.
I'll have to work out some gear ratios and see what will work best with my new found legs. I'm sort of liking this regular crank even though I never use the big ring.
The compact I thought was essential for I really really suck at hills, but the other day, I found that if I don't attack the inclines like I usually do, crawling up is not so bad.
In fact, it may be preferable.
I'll test my theory out on the Hill of Devastation this weekend.
Weather permitting of course.
Which reminds me, I was going to do a post about the nasty weather we've been having lately. I cannot begin to describe the suffering and inconvenience we have been going through.
I mean today on my ride, I had be like Steve A. of DFW Point-to-Point fame and go to plan B and wear my sleeveless jersey!
Okay, okay, I know how you snow covered ice laden folks feel:



Seriously, it was a bit cloudy today and as the sun set it began to get a bit chilly.
I sucked it up and finished my ride.
Next time though, I'll wear my short sleeves.
Gotta bundle up for all that shade.

7 comments:

Big Oak said...

Sounds like you're on the right path to improving your fitness by monitoring your heart rate and paying attention to cadence. Please keep us updated as you progress this year.

Sorry to hear you caught a chill on your way home!

TrevorW�� said...

With the gradient of the hills on my usual cycling routes at 25%, a compact is a must have bit of kit. Even then I'm not exactly spinning the pedals- more like a slow grind to the top

John Romeo Alpha said...

You also have those ocean breezes and distracting scenery to contend with. I don't know how you do it. I like an unfashionable triple on my road bike. If I rode where Trevor does with 25% gradients, I would be walking a lot.

limom said...

Big Oak, it's been difficult, but I'm getting there.

Trevor, a slow grind is becoming the preferred method around here.

JRA, sometimes those distractions get intolerable, but somehow I get through it.
I've also been thinking about a triple, only because I cannot climb for beans and I need that bailout gear.
At least I think I need it.

Steve A said...

Be careful - you keep on the path you're on and you could wind up as a - triathlete! Are you ready for all that running and swimming stuff?

limom said...

Unfortunately, I can barely swim to save my life and that running stuff is hard on the shins.
I have been sort of thinking about running though.
Or at least walking.
Briskly.

Apertome said...

Progress is good! I'm glad you're making progress and having a good time. Hope you manage to survive the harsh climate.