Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Don't Mess With The BB!

There's nothing more irritating than chain rub when riding a bicycle.
Okay, there is, like squeaks and creaks.
Squeaks and creaks can drive you mad, especially if you can't find what's making the noise.
Chain rubbing the front derailleur is irritating too, especially if you look down and see your chain ring going all wobbly like.
So, today was bottom bracket day:



I've actually been putting off bottom bracket day for I sort of realized that if I took a look at the bottom bracket, well, you'll see.
Anyways, the cranks were sort of on the loose side so I thought I'd give it a go and try to re-grease and tighten the thing up:



If you've never taken an old style BB apart before this is what you got.
Clean up, grease, put back.
No go.
Still loose.
Okay.
So, since I got the crank arms off an all, well, where's that can of Mother's Mag Polish?



Well now.
What to do, what to do?
Take bike apart.
Before:



After:



Rust?



Dremel:



Now I did it.
Sidney or the Bush baby!
Okay, now I need to order a cartridge square taper bottom bracket and I guess I could use an adjustable stem.
I haven't decided if I'm going to take the frame down to bare metal or not.
I tell you, I really have a hard time de-badging Gary seeing as how the Gary Fisher line of bikes is no more.
I guess I can find some stickers on evil eBay.
Hopefully, I'll get Gary back on the road next week.
See what happens when you mess with the bottom bracket?

No comments: