Thursday, June 3, 2010

Gone Fishing

Or something.
It was an overcast day with very little wind.
Normally, I'd be all over a day like this; any day with little or no wind is a good day. It's just that on days like this, you can never tell if it's going to rain or not. Usually, if it does rain, while it doesn't last very long, it's not the small drop drizzy drizzy kind of rain that falls.
It's that heavy industrial stuff that seems to put down a foot of rain in like two minutes.
So out I went with the Barn Door.
It's got fenders don't you know.
Anyways, I'm doing my usual 10mph while cranking about 100rpms, when I come across these folks:



I watched them for a few minutes trying to figure out just what they were up to.
Okay, it's pretty obvious, I mean they got like scoop nets and all. The thing is, I don't believe there's anything worth scooping up in there.
The area they are in is where Ka'elepulu pond empties into the ocean. That is it empties when the city occasionally dredges the mouth:



When the sand builds up again(tides, wave action and all that), it closes off the mouth until the area either floods or the city comes back and does it's thing.
Now the thing is, when the mouth is blocked, it's not exactly the happiest water around.
I mean if you were like water all blocked up like that, would you be happy?
I guess you could call it like marsh water, all full of nutrients and floating stuff; the pond used to be a fish pond.
No, not like the kind of fish pond you are thinking about. A sort of aqua cultural fish pond where early inhabitants raised fish to eat.
It's interesting for the area is fairly far inland:



So anyways, I'm watching these folks a scooping and stuff and right below me on the bridge, well, there's this:



Okay, if you are waiting for me to tie this all together, well, this really isn't going anywhere.
Just like I wasn't going anywhere today on my bike and like these folks didn't seem to be trying to scoop up anything in particular.
A lot of the time, when I ride my bike, I usually try to convince myself I'm going somewhere even if I'm going nowhere.
See here for my take on that.
Today it sort of came to me that where you are and what you are doing isn't really important just as long as you aren't where you usually are, and doing what you usually do.
That's the whole point of getting out, right?
I mean when you go fishing, does it really matter if you don't catch any fish?

No comments: