Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Front Derailleur and the Lunch Wagon

Yesterday I picked up some cables and stuff from the LBS. I wanted to get started again this morning.
After changing out the derailleur and brake cables, I went to work on the front derailleur.
It's kinda on it's last leg:



It's also bent.
Seems like it got hit from the outside or something for the outer plate is tweaked inboard. I didn't try to bend it back.
I got a new FD coming in.
Anyways, I tried my best to clean it up:



It's okay. I'll probably run that for now as I can't find the exact model.
The derailleur I got coming in is Deore DX.
So anyways, after spending a couple of hours on Gary, I looked up and what?
It's lunch time!
Oh yea!
So I take the Barn Door and off I go.
It's a pretty nice day, and I'm riding around thinking about what I'm going to eat.
Well, I'm thinking like Subway again, you know, something healthy, when all of a sudden, I come across this:




Lunch wagons are popular here. Sort of kitchens on wheels, though sometimes, the wagons/trucks don't even move. You have to go early to the really busy ones for they often sell out early.
Well, it's not really what I had planned so I go around the block.
Half way round I say what the hell and go back.
I pack my lunch on the back of the Barn Door and head back to the beach:



That's my lunch on the rear rack.
It was really windy, so luckily the plate was like ten pounds.
No, really:



Jambalaya and honey BBQ chicken!
I'm telling you, whatever calories I burned off, I put back on.
So I sat there under a tree, eating my lunch, watching some woman in a bikini pose at the waters edge for some guy taking pictures.
Sorry, not me, I was feeding my face.
I tried, but couldn't finish the whole plate.
Well, I'm not supposed to eat beans, and I gave the cornbread to the birds.
Still, after I was done, I felt like this guy:



Seriously, I don't think I saw him move the whole time I was there.
That is what is known as Polynesian Paralysis.
Or maybe just too many Mai Tais.
In fact, I sort of look like that right now.
Except I'm on my couch, soon to be watching Law & Order.

3 comments:

dogimo said...

DAM

That is one fine looking lunch wagon. Ours is pretty sweet too - good quality mexican food.

Of course I always order the BLT. I can't help it, they start frying up rashers of bacon right at the time when I'm walking by!

John Romeo Alpha said...

I think a summer of Polynesian paralysis would be awesome. With occasional stops at the lunch wagon.

limom said...

Mr. Dogimo, because of the economy I guess, a recent trend is for former restaurant chefs chefs to open lunch wagons.
Bad for them, good for us, I guess.

Mr. JRA, the full on Polynesian Paralysis usually comes on Fridays, when almost every lunch place here has a Hawaiian plate.
Sometime during Summer, I shall make a pilgrimage to famous Ono's in Kapahulu.
If you can ride your bike after eating there, you are doing it wrong.