Friday, June 4, 2010

Face the Music

Well, the MP3 Project is almost done.
Gee, it seems like it's been a year.
Wait, lemme check.
Seems I got this thing way back in November.
Okay, so it's taken me like seven months to get to the T's.
Almost done!
As I was loading up the Tower of Power, I started thinking about all the stuff I didn't rip.
I mean, I left a lot of stuff out, stuff I hardly listen to anymore.
Okay, stuff I never listen to anymore.
Like Laurie Anderson.
It's been years since I pulled out one of her CDs. Still it's comforting to know I have them. I saw her in concert.
I never really got into Depeche Mode; I think I got them to impress a girl or something. I actualy saw them in concert too. Can't think of where or when Depeche is appropriate now.
Now Erasure.
This one puzzles me cause I really used to like them. I in fact bought a Yaz CD because of them. Just like Depeche, can't seem to find a time or place to listen to them anymore which is bad cause I got like five of their albums.
Wait, I take that back. I think I did load up some songs off of Wild! If I didn't I will.
Now I didn't load up a whole bunch of jazz stuff only because I thought that jazz is not really good riding music. Bob James, The Crusaders, Fourplay, John Pizzarelli, Coltrane! and such all didn't make the cut.
I mean really, you have to listen to jazz when it's dark.
Or something.
I also didn't load up any England Dan and John Ford Coley or Hall and Oates.
For obvious reasons.
Moving along, I didn't put anything off of New Order's Substance CDs. I don't know why. I loaded up Republic. I guess I'm still thinking about Substance.
Portishead and Joe Satriani didn't make it either.
The Rippingtons and David Sanborn never left the shelf.
Now the big one is Steely Dan.
Not one Steely Dan song on my player.
le Connaisseur de la Musique will be miffed for I think he gave Aja some kind of big award or something.
Anyways, I skipped right over them and ripped all the Sundays CDs.
I think it's because one shouldn't be distracted when listening to Steely Dan. Your full attention is required.
I looked long and hard at Styx's Greatest Hits. I mean it's freakin Styx!
Mr. Robato and all that.
Sorry Styx, you got bumped by Toad.
All this music that I never listen to.
Did I ever tell you that my brother said I remind him of that dude in High Fidelity?
Well, I tell you what, I'm thinking of pulling a Rob Gordon and rearranging all my music chronologically cause there's definately a bunch of stuff I'm avoiding.
Another life don't you know.
Now the reason I passed over a lot of this music is, as you can see, sort of complicated.
I guess you can say that I'm afraid to face the music.
I don't know why, I mean there's stuff on this MP3 player that I've ripped but never heard since.
It's like I know the Cranberries are on there, I just don't know where.
Anyways, I can't wait until I get to Zero7.
Oh wait, that's already on there.
I'm skippin over Yaz anyway.

2 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

I stood behind Laurie Anderson in a security line at the airport. Laurie Anderson! But then I was faced with the problem: what do you say to Laurie Anderson? Hi Laurie, I really like your music? OK, that probably would have been a good start.

limom said...

I waited in back for her and asked her to sign my CD.
She didn't seem too pleased and all I got was a scribble.
Then again, it was really late and she looked really tired.
I guess it wasn't Sharkey's Day.