Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Full Moonly Plus Five, Mare Tranquillitatis, Ritter and Sabine, Aristoteles and Exodus



I don't know if I'm going to get any pictures tomorrow for the Moon is rising really late now. I had to wait until around one to get the Moon to clear my garage roof and some scattered clouds.
Since it was still low, there was some atmospheric disturbance. Still, some of the shots were not bad.
The terminator is close to where the Apollo 11 landed in the Sea of Tranquillity:



I put a white dot to approximate the landing site.
There are three small craters above the landing site named Armstrong, Collins and Aldrin. Too small to be visible with this telescope at this magnification.
Okay, that picture doesn't give you any reference points.
How's this?



Can you still find the landing site?
My source is sort of dated but according to it, there are only six craters named after living men; the three Apollo 11 astronauts and three Russian cosmonauts.
The two craters to the left of the landing site, Ritter on the left and Sabine on the right, are about 30km in diameter.
The larger crater below is Delambre, 52km across.
Two prominent craters can be seen up North:



They are Aristoteles(87km) and Exodus(67km).
To the right of them, just on the edge of Mare Serentatis you can just make out the rim of the crater Posidonius.
Alrighty then.
Oh, here's the video from last night.
I had to use YT cause it wouldn't load on Blogger.
I think the file was like a GAGILLIONkbs.



Music is the Love Theme by Vangelis from the movie Bladerunner.

No comments: