Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Gary and MT-62 and Other Things

Boy, Mr. JRA of One Speed: Go! fame has really done it to me this time.
Just when all became right in the world, he had to go and give me a link to Hugh, who restores bikes.
Well today, I get up all bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to change the rust bleeding chain off of Gary Fisher.
Off comes the chain, and Hugh's blog is rattling around in my brain.
After my adventure with the spokes yesterday, I though I had seen the last of the Mother's Mag Polish.
Yes, you know what's coming next.
So I took off the rear derailleur for the rear plate was really rusty.
Just didn't match the relatively clean outer plate.
Off I went!



The outer plate was really bad so I had to break out the industrial stuff:



Now if I'm going to do the outer, might as well do the inner.
In for a penny, in for a pound.
Or something like that:



Now if I'm going to clean up the cages, well, might as well try and clean the whole thing!
Okay, honestly, I didn't go all intense polishing fiend on it.
I could have, but I didn't. I mean even I could see that the derailleur was sort of beyond it's former glory.
I just sort wanted to see what I could do:



Not too bad.
Just too bad for me.
Now I'm all hot for a steel framed bike that I can restore.
Unfortunately, Gary is has way too much rust; I have plans for Gary.
The Rockhopper Project has been shut down. The frame is too large for me so I'll probably send it to KVIBE and maybe it'll find another life there.
Now, I just have to wait and find the right frame.
Not as easy as it sounds.

No comments: