Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Evening Star and Rupes Altai

I've been trying to get Venus for a couple of days now.
The problem is, well, sometimes I forget, and it is very low on the horizon. That means that by the time I remember, it's close to setting.
Also, it's to the west and I have hills and a mountain range to deal with thatta ways. Mountains mean clouds, so oft times Venus is touch and go.
Tonight I managed to get two shots in before the clouds moved in, unfortunately, only one image is any good.
Another thing about Venus is that it's so bright, getting the best image usually means some kind of filter.
Well, I put on my filter just in time for Venus to disappear behind the above said clouds.
Anyways, for your approval:



Okay, that's been cropped and enlarged.
What I see through the eyepiece looks like this:




Like the Moon, Venus has phases too, although it goes through it's transformation a lot slower. It takes about ten months for Venus to go full.
At this time, Venus is supposed to be around 75 percent.
Here's another enlargement, what do you think?



I also managed a nice shot of the Moon.
Last night, there was a lot of moisture in the air and the Moon actually had a halo around it.
Tonight it was clear:



I had a hard time choosing something to identify in tonights image; there were so many interesting things.
I thought I'd get away from craters for a bit and offer you some mountains:



Fairly easy to spot as it is next to the trio of craters Theophilus, Cyrillus, and Catharina.
You remember right?
Okay, look here.
It may be confusing for I wasn't reversing the image back then, but you can figure it out.
Anyways, Rupes Altai is a mountain range, or as my book describes it, a "the range resembles a fault, sloping down to the basin."
It's 480km long and about 1km high.
I also found a pretty cool Moon atlas online, you can find it here.
Just in case you want to play along at home.
Okay, Moon factoid.
The Moon basically follows the Sun across the sky.
This path is called the ecliptic.
Oh and I guess I should add one for Venus.
A Venetian year is 225 days(time it takes for Venus to circle the Sun).

No comments: