Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sunday Final

The Purple Heart Basket Bumper.
That's what I'm calling it.
For now.
If you've been following along at home, you, the reader, know that I was looking to make something that would keep my front basket in the upright(that's what I'm talking about Willis!) position(see below).
Using the former reflecto bracket on the head tube, I came up with this:



Just a piece of wood.
Purple Heart to be exact.
I was going to try and fabricate something elaborate from some aluminium sheet metal I had laying around, but this simple solution came to me in a mouth full of Sour Cream and Onion potato chips.
I just cut it to size, and drilled a hole in the middle and Viola!




That should be enough to keep the basket from hitting the front brakes.
After looking at it for a bit, I though maybe I should have drilled two holes and made a bracket so that I could have clamped the two basket supports.
Maybe in version two.
I'm sure the bracket is going to rattle around like crazy so I may end up doing just that.
We'll see how it goes.
I think that free wheel is beyond hope.
I mean it rattles, clanks, creaks, squeaks, groans, moans, and hiccups.
Okay, not really.
About the groans and moans.
That might have been me.
Seriously, it sounds like it's on it's last leg.
As in free wheel needed immediately!
I took the BWTFN out for a spin since the rains stopped and some sunshine actually broke through the clouds.
Not far, just a couple few miles or so to get a real road feel.
I need a new saddle.
That Selle Italia ain't cutting it.
I need something humongous and cushy like a couch with extra cushions.
Like one of them extra large saddles with the springs and stuff.
Maybe a sheepskin seat cover even.
These are the bars that are coming in:



Some honkin wide bars with some super sweep!
Looks like I can mount at least five or six bells on em!
Maybe even a portable DVD player.
You know, so I can watch like American Flyers or something as I cruise around.
Okay, not really.
Maybe old episodes of Law & Order.
So anyways, I'm on the Quest for a Free Wheel(QFFW), hopefully I get something soon.
I'm also thinking about whether or not I'm going to strip the frame and give it some paint.
Red, cause it's fast and say it with me: image is everything.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

simple solutions are always the best!

John Romeo Alpha said...

That block looks like a good place to wrap a couple of spare bungies, to hold the basket, and because you can never have too many bungies.

limom said...

PaddyAnne, my simplicity is oft times a product of my laziness.

JRA, I usually wrap bungees galore around the basket.
Now I only have two.
I wonder where they all went?

TrevorW�� said...

This bike would look great if you were to paint it in a nice dark traditional green and then fitted with a honey or brown Brooks saddle and leather handlebar grips in the same colour as the saddle..!

Now that would be a great looker....if you are going to do a job you know you won't be satisfied unless you spend more that you set out to do....!!!

-Trevor

limom said...

The Force is strong in you O'Purple One Kenobi.