Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thursday Stuff

I wasn't going to go out today, but I dragged my you know what off the couch despite the fact that Law & Order was on.
It's good for my riding that USA for some odd reason is now showing reruns of NCIS and TNT has a thing for Bones.
I mean the way Law & Order was playing on those two channels it's sort of amazing I ever left the house.
Anyways, as I said, I went out today and Rocked The Big Ring(RTBR)!
For a whopping six miles.
I swear it felt like I was pedaling through sand or some mud or maybe my tires were really flat or I was like dragging something behind me or my brakes were rubbing or some bearings were binding or...
Okay, you get the idea.
After six miles I told myself that if this keeps up, I ain't finishing my ride.
So I wussied out.
I am so ashamed.
I have dishonored the House of the Flat Tire and I am banished from practicing Big Ring Style kung fu for like, forever!
I must go the the Temple of the Campagnolo Oracle and pray so that I may master the mighty Spinning Small Ring Style.
Deceptively small, but powerful.
Sometimes.
The Big Ring did get some use though:



Yes, the Big Ring is no longer virgin.
It has been blessed with the Holy Chain-l oil.
Honestly, I don't know what the hell is the matter with me.
This is only like the second time I've ever used the Big Ring, it's like I didn't want to use it because I didn't want it to get dirty.
I mean it was all shiny and purty and brand new!
Oh well, not anymore.
No excuses now.
After those six miles though, and going back to the Spinning Small Ring Style, I gotta say it felt really good.
My speed was up and I was holding my heart rate up in the 150s for a while there.
I just don't feel comfortable mashing on the Big Ring, though it's probably because I'm just weak.
I'd rather go like hell on the Spinning Small Ring and let my short legs with the massive thighs do their thing.
Well, I've got a Big Ring so I guess I might as well use it.
Soon, I shall be a master of the Big Ring Style!
I shall walk in the hot sands of Lanikai until my legs are tan and strong!
I shall honor the House of the Flat Tire!
Or may my heart explode trying!
Okay, let's not have my heart explode.
So anyways, I went all the way up the hill in front of Flat Tire Central today, which by the way killed my average speed, but I wanted to check out that area where the new houses are coming up.
The road is paved and ready to go:



Looks like houses will be against the hill on the left and on the right on the down slope.
I forgot to count the easements to see how many units are going up, but I figured at least six.
All over looking Flat Tire Central:



It's going to be strange having homes above me since it's been like all bushes for like thirty years.
Now, the once dark hills be lit with street lights and porch lights.
Well it did do some good.
It made the hill a little longer.
At least I think that's good.
Maybe.

2 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

I wonder if your crank arm length is a factor here. Actually I'm not only wondering that, but you have been adjusting most other things that come in different sizes to see what works, and I am pretty sure you could locate some different crank lengths made in Italy.

limom said...

I was thinking about some regala cranks with 172.5 or 175 arms, but toe overlap is terrible especially since moving my cleats back.
The MTB had 175s and I have 170 now, and I didn't notice any real difference.
Well, except that now I can spin faster; I figured because of the shorter arms.
I think I've just been spinning the inside ring for so long now, that my massive legs aren't used to the effort.
In this case, I'll work on the engine before changing anything on the bike.
Maybe.