Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Back to the Goofy

I don't know if this is going to work out.
Leading a double life.
It seems like the same, but it's not.
There are subtle differences that well, make things different.
The first thing you notice going from the Celeste Devil to Yellow Devil is the ride.
The Celeste Devil is water bed while the Yellow Devil is like concrete.
Okay, not really that bad.
Sort of.
I tried to dial in both bicycles dimension wise as close as I could.
I measured out the seat height, length to bars etc. but seeing as how the frames are a size apart, it's not exact.
The bars are also different as are the stems, so I just did the best I could.
Still, there are small differences that make jumping from one bicycle to the other feel like jumping into another time zone.
Once I get one to feel sort of fit good, I change stuff up to try and make both the same, but it ends up all goofy.
I thought having two bicycles was going to be a good thing.
This may take a while.
So anyways, the stuff I read about the COM 12.5 is correct.
The frame is stiff.
Bumps the Bianchi rolls over the Ciocc sort of plows over.
The word "tank" kept coming to mind.
For some reason the Ciocc feels heavy, although side by side picking up and guesstimating would beg to differ.
At first I attributed it to the taller gears, but a 34/15 is about the same as a 39/17.
Sure feels like I'm pushing a heavier bicycle though.
Road vibrations come straight up to the bars and seat and you better hang on when going over manhole covers.
Okay, the thing is I'm running 25s on the Celeste Devil and 23s on the Yellow Devil so that may have something to do with it.
Next week I'll make back to back runs with the same wheel set and get a better idea of what's going on.
I also made today's run with the Egg Beater 3 pedals.
That may have had something to do with today's goofyness.
The optimus prime seat height I thought I found is now lost, somewhere in millimeter land.
I had to mount the cleats on my shoes a bit forward for the Shoe Shields won't let me go all the way back.
I need to trim them a bit to fit my shoes:



You can see there on the bottom where the corners of the Shoe Shields are pressed up against the raised portion of sole.
A little Dremelizing and I should be able to move the cleats all the way back again.
Getting in and out of the Egg Beaters was a problem at first, but by the end of the ride I was sort of getting it.
Still having a bit of a problem clipping back in.
I think I'm sticking with them if only because the Shimano SPDs were starting to eat into the carbon layer on my shoe.
Not a good thing.
I'm not sure how this two bicycle thing is going to work out.
I sort of like getting on one bicycle, knowing that the fit is the same.
I mean your body sort of gets used to it, then you jump on another bicycle and things are all different and your body gets used to that, then it's back to the other bicycle and well, I'm not sure it's good for cycling zen.
It's sort of like wearing two different shoes, neither one feels right.
If you know what I mean.
Throw in the new pedals, and it's like I'm fitting myself all over again.
To two different bikes.
Goofyness.
Or something.
I guess I'll just have to see how all this pans out.

No comments: