Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday Early Edition

Oh, those pesky Italians!
Always gotta do things different.
I mean what's up with all that proprietary stuff they gotta come up with?
Why can't they just do things like normal bicycle folks do?
A while back this came in the mail:



Park Tools internal spoke nipple thingy for the pesky Italian spoke nipples that are well, internal.
If you, the reader, have been following along at home, you remember that I bought an internal nipple tool thingy but as usual it was the wrong size so I had to get this internal nipple tool thingy.
All that for just one pesky Italian nipple.
Okay, that didn't really come out right.
Boy, now I'm thinking about-uh, never mind.
Some things you just don't want to know.
Anyways, I have to take apart the wheel to get to that pesky bent Italian spoke.
I forgot before pictures, so here's one after I tried to bend it back into shape:



You can see there how the straight pull spokes are held into the hub.
Campagnolo makes spoke kits for their wheels, but unfortunately, my wheels are so old the kits are no longer available.
Pesky Italians!
I'll just have to make do.
Actually it may have been a good thing for them spoke kits weren't cheap.
The front wheel was a bit out of true anyways, and to get to all the nipples, there's that word again! you have to remove all the rim tape:



What is that stuff inside the rim?
Dust?
Anyways, I had to remove to spoke to bend it back into sort of straightness so now I gotta go and retension it.
I don't have a wheel stand, so I'll just flip the Celeste Devil over and use the fork.
The nice thing about these internal uh, you knows, is that they are right side up when you are messing with them so you don't have to think all backwards when truing up the wheels.
Which are sort of cheap for Campagnolo.
I peeled off one of the wrinkled stickers on the rim and discovered that it's not even welded, just pinned:



I sort of expected them to be welded.
Oh well.
So I'll be working on truing up that wheel today and if the weather is nice, hopefully getting out on the road.
Oh, and I got a package from the Dark Side yesterday:



Let me give you a little preview of things to come.
Okay, maybe not.

No comments: