Saturday, June 11, 2011

Saturday Cactus Update

Well it's been a while since we've inspected the Cactus Army.
I guess it's been almost a year now that I planted them from seeds I got from here.
Some sprouted, some did nothing, some got eaten by unseen creatures.
Still, the Army survives.You can see in the bottom row I may have another opuntia coming up.
The others were eaten.
Or something.



The one neobuxbaumia is really taking off, leaving the others behind:



The others are still holding on:



I won't bother with the Saguaro, for they still look about the same.
The agave got eaten too, but it's still going strong.
Out of my other cactus, this one is becoming sort of a favorite:



I don't know what it is, but it's looking pretty cool.
For a cactus.
The other new recruits are no longer plebes:



I like the blue ones, just for the unusual color.
The spikey ones are well, spikey:



The big surprise was the droopy one.
I think I posted about it earlier, it was really tall at first, now it's sort of growing sideways:



Today I went out and voila!



Flowers!
I'm so stoked!
Maybe some of the others will flower too, but I ain't holding my breath.
So now it's really time to start transplanting some of these guys into bigger pots.
Now that I have the time, I guess I gotta go into the gara- uh studio and make some.
I mean I got flowers now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your favourite one as well! And I would never have guessed that you liked the blue-toned ones the best... (just thinking along the lines of celeste??!!)

Big Oak said...

They are really coming along. Do you plan to plant them outside when they are bigger? That would be some cool landscaping.

John Romeo Alpha said...

You must be starting to feel like a proud drill sergeant (what's up with the spelling of that word ee-gads!) to finally see your recruits shaping up into a respectable force.

Green Pokeyness said...

PaddyAnne, the blue ones are just sort of unusual.

Big Oak, I'm thinking about setting them in a corner or something, or maybe to doing a cactus zen garden thing.

JRA, they are coming along but I took some casualties.