Tuesday, June 7, 2011

New Bars, Old Bicycles (The Lost Post Found!)

The Lost Post from the Great Google Blackout dated May 11, 2011


The new to me bars came in.
I gotta tell you, looking for handle bars is not something to take lightly.
Especially for these olden days bicycles for it seems like there are like a GAGILLION different sizes and shapes!
Well okay, only like two sizes, 25.4 and 26.0 in my case but it seems like there are a lot out there.
First you gotta make sure you are getting the right size then you gotta make sure you like the bend.
That's a lot of make sures to well, make sure of.
So here's the new bars on top of the old bars:



Just the fact that they are bright makes a difference, at least it does for me.
While those risers were okay, they just didn't match the bike.
Say it with me: image is everything.
Sort of.
I wanted bars with the hand positions parallel to the top tube(s) and these are sort of close.
I still got my eyeballs on some Nitto bars, but they cost a pretty penny so I'm not sure I want to go there yet.
Besides, Nitto makes several different types of the same model bar and I haven't had time to research them all and it gets sort of confusing when you are looking for a particular model in a particular size.
I've been perusing this place called Milwaukee Bicycle, which also goes by the eVilness name of Ben's Cycle for they have tons of Nitto stuff and they seem to have a lot of olden days parts.
Anyways these are no name "tourist" bars which I guess means you are supposed to tour with them but if I was touring, I wouldn't use bars like these.
Not that I ever go touring.
The brake levers just made it on there without lengthening the cables.
They do need lengthening though, maybe later.
I set the levers almost straight down:



Not sure how that's going to work out yet, but it was sort of the only position I could get the lever in without changing the length of the cables.
Laziness don't you know.
I'll try them out in that position for it was sort of what I had in mind.
I haven't had a chance to actually ride them yet but I'll say this, they look pretty cool.
Cleaner without the shifters on there.
Old school.
I might have to get some Rapha jerseys and one of them newsboy caps.
Or something.
I'll probably give it spin then take everything apart and strip down the frame.
I'm liking how this thing is coming along so since I have to wait until I find a free wheel or wheel set, I might as well paint it.
The frame I mean.
I gotta say, one thing about working on these olden days bikes is that you learn a lot of stuff.
Although cycling and bicycles haven't changed all that much over the years, you can still see the refinements that make cycling what it is today.
Things have sort of changed dramatically, while at the same time fundamentally they are the same.
Sort of.
I mean it makes you appreciate how things have progressed, shifters and brakes and gears and stuff and sometimes I wonder how folks got along without all the newfangled improvements.
Components and drive trains are much simpler to work on and obtain parts for, especially since certain sizes for parts have become industry standard.
Unlike the old bicycles where you really had to know your stuff!
There's like different parts and different sizes for like everything!
No wonder all them vintage bicycle dudes got like huge garages and tons of parts!
Maybe I should try and get a bicycle from each era, like one from the forties, the fifties, etc.
That might be interesting, from a historical point of view.
Or maybe I should just try and get a really really old single speed bike, just for fun.
Then again, I live on a hill, so maybe not.
So anyways, that's it for the Bike With The Funny Name(BWTFN) for now.
We'll get back to it when I start to put it back together.
Stay tuned.

No comments: