Monday, June 20, 2011

Disconnected

Basic transportation.
Well, okay walking or running is more basic, but a bicycle is about as simple as it gets.
Well okay, I suppose a skateboard or one of them scooter thingys is basic-er, so let's say basic transportation without your feet touching the ground.
I can sort of see why single speeds would be popular.
Trendiness aside, it's the most basic bicycle, especially if you don't have brakes.
Then I guess you got your coaster brake bicycle, the cruiser type or kids bikes.
Single speeds and all them BMXers would be next in line.
Or something like that.
I mean you got your pedal power, a single gear, some brakes and some steering.
All is good.
Pedal, point, and go.
Being a minimalist, I can see the beauty in all that is simple.
Being a gadget type person, I can also dig having a GAGILLION gears and the newest lightest stuff money can buy.
Still, the newest stuff doesn't have to be complicated, it can still be simple in design and function perfectly well.
That's the lure and beauty of a bicycle I think.
Making stuff function as simply as possible, at the same time making it easy on the eyeballs.
Going back to geared bicycles, back to the time where you had to reach down and shift, sort of a suicide shifter if you will, there must have been a certain satisfaction that went with mastering that skill.
I mean I have a hard time reaching down for my water bottle much less making a shift.
I know this for I still have a hard time with my friction stem shifters.
Of course adding all the cables and stuff made it easier for folks but it also added some complexity, another variable in the equation.
More stuff to go wrong.
Although shifting now is efficient with indexing, it isn't that much more complex than those reach down and shift well, shifters.
Until now.
Okay, this is not the first time electronic/electric shifting has appeared.
I believe Mavic came out with something a while back, but it didn't' take.
Shimano's Di2 has been out for like three years, but it's been in the Unobtainable Category, at least for me, because of the price.
Even on the eVilness, a complete group will set you back around $3k.
You can get them without cranks for less, but seriously, you aren't going to run 105 cranks with this stuff.
Now though, with this Super Ultegra, it's finally become attainable for the masses.
At least withing shooting distance for me.
Am I taking aim?
Part of riding a bike, for me, is feeling connected to it.
Physically.
Push on this, pull on that, gears go up, gears go down.
I can feel it.
If you know what I mean.
It's all something I can visualize, the simplicity I mean, of what's going on there, that I enjoy.
It's primal.
Not quite the same as moving that lever to get the chain up a cog, but almost.
Now all it takes is a push of button.
Do we really need it?
Really?
What's next?
Brain wave controlled shifting?
Okay maybe not because I'm sure there are times when we all wish we were in a lower gear!
I'm sure for this generation, pushing a button is second nature and they are all wondering what why it took so long.
Moi, I see elegance in making something complicated simple.
It's easy to Rube Goldberg it just for the sake of convenience or appeal.
Not so easy to get to the purest form of function.
Which is where I think bicycles are now.
Still, Super Ultegra looks kinda cool.
I mean if I were racing or on a TT/tri bike I'd probably be considering it.
As a huffer and puffer though, I think it's an accessory that exceeds my needs.
It, in fact, seems like the evolution of the bicycle sort of took a step backwards.
I don't think I'm ready to disconnect myself from my bicycle just yet.
If you know what I mean.

4 comments:

Steve A said...

"I can't ride my bike because my battery died!"

Maybe OK for lights but unacceptable for shifting.

electronic illiterate said...

To take a step backwards, it's unfortunate a manual system cannot be in place, just in case.
I wonder why, instead of a battery system, they did not use two servos instead.
Reliability perhaps?

statrixbob said...

You know I ride a bike you actually have to stop to shift so I'm definitely a retro grouch when it comes to all of this for myself. However, anything that gets somebody out on a bike is okay with me. As long as it's not forced on everybody I'm down with it.

I wonder if they'll ever get a working CVT (Continuously variable transmission) that folks actually want on a bike (not too heavy, ugly, costly, inefficient, etc.)?

There is this:
http://www.fallbrooktech.com/nuvinci.asp

Constant Velocity Thighs said...

Well I don't think flipping your wheel actually counts as a shift!
Or do you have something like one of them WI doubles?

I don't know if anyone has applied the Nuvinci to a bicycle yet though I seem to remember some cranks using something similar.
There was a thread on bikeforums.net about this a while back.
CVTs I mean.