Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday Final

Well it was rain off and on today, so instead of trying to get a ride in, I figured I'd just finish up whatever I could and made some more stuff.
I tried something different, making a couple of small thingys on a hump mold:



Basically, you get slab and drape it over an upside down bowl shape thingy.
Let it dry a bit, add some feetsies and return to the upright position:



Because of the rain the clay wasn't drying to quick, I was only able to get two of em out, but I got three of them hump mold thingys so I managed to make some different shapes.
Some look okay, some not okay.
More on that later.
Anyways, I don't know why, but all of a sudden I'm all into making all kinds of useful stuff!
Stuff I don't normally even think about making!
I gotta say, there's a side to this utilitarian ware that's sort of challenging. I mean you sort of have to think about the end user and how stuff will work.
There's more to it than meets the eyeballs.
While on the wheel, I made some kitchen utensil jars:



Also managed to get out one more platter.
The others set up well and I was able to trim and finish them off.
Some of them were on the thin side, so I had to improvise and make some feetsies for them:



Usually you wouldn't do this in high fire clay, the clay would slump around the feetsies and warp.
This low fire stuff holds it's form pretty well so I'm not worried about slumpage.
Okay, all my wet work is just about done!
Because of the weather, I don't know how long this stuff will take to dry.
Now all I gotta do is keep a glazing and a firing and hopefully I'll have enough pottage to order me up a brand spanking new custom Reynolds 953 frame!
Okay, not really.
Maybe I can order me some tires though.
Oh and I keep forgetting.
Someone actually has to buy this stuff.

No comments: