Friday, December 10, 2010

Camelopardalis

Camelopardalis is a constellation that's up in the Winter sky.
It sits between the Big Dipper, Auriga and Perseus, toward the north.
It was one of the first constellations I looked for, an introduction to sky charts if you will, and it wasn't easy.
To find I mean.
In fact, if I were you, I wouldn't bother unless you got really dark skies and a star chart handy:



Thank you to astronomy.net for the image.
Why bother with such a faint constellation?
Why strain your neck and squint your eyeballs trying to find it?
Well, if you, the reader, have been following along at home, you know that I have thing for Camelopardalis, which in normal human nomenclature is a giraffe.
That's right sport fans!
A giraffe!
Now why the wise ancients decided to immortalize a giraffe in the sky I have no idea.
Maybe they were just impressed.
I know I am.
Impressed I mean.
Read more about giraffes here.
My affection/obsession with giraffes is all Salvador Dali's fault.
See, he liked to put giraffes in some of his paintings, sort of random like, and he set them on fire.
The giraffes I mean.
He painted flaming giraffes!



Boy, I hope that image is like public domain cause I already forgot where I got it from.
Anyways, I've never seen a flaming giraffe, nor do I wish to encounter one.
That would be a sight though!
I'm sort of interested in the non-flaming versions.
Interested enough that I actually sketched some out:



This is evidence of my level of giraffe commitment for I never sketch anything.
Not my major don't you know.
So anyways, imagine my surprise and delight when I found this on CL:




Three life sized leather giraffes!
I was besides myself.
Or something.
Now these aren't your regula kine giraffes, there are different types, these have darker spots.
Maybe cause they're faster.
Black and nasty don't you know.
Well I'm pretty glad I can't afford these giraffes, for I could, they'd be sitting in my living room, right in front of me, in all their giraffeness glory, at this very moment(I'm wondering if they will break up the set, maybe I can afford one giraffe).
I can only dream.
I wonder what a real live giraffe costs?
Can I get a giraffe permit?
Boy, imagine the looks when we walk on over to the beach!
I'd need a taller fence around my yard.
Maybe I'd better stick to llamas.
Except there aren't any llama constellations.
That's another story though.
About the llamas I mean.

5 comments:

Steve A said...

The constellation, as distinguished from the binary star of the same name. Hmm. I figure I'm doing good to be able to point out Cassiopeia...

John Romeo Alpha said...

I am thinking of opening a division of OSG to issue giraffe permits. Not sure about the level of demand for such permits, though. The Market Research Dept will conduct a study. If other Camelopardalis or Dali fans out there need a giraffe permit, please email me. To be counted.

limom said...

Steve A., if you can see Cassiopeia, you can find the Giraffe! You will need some dark skies though.

JRA, please let me know when the permits are ready for distribution.
I may need one.
Expedited.

Starmare said...

ps, though this is several years after your post. camelopardalis was not one the 48 constellations recognized by the ancients. it was created by Petrus Plancius in 1613. His intent was that it represent the animal sacred to Rebecca, wife of Isaac in the old testament. It's name literally means 'camel leopard' and didn't become known as the giraffe until Johannes Hevelius used it on his star charts several decades later. Good stuff!

limom said...

thanks! I actually thought it was more contemporary, like in the 1700's or so.