Saturday, December 11, 2010

It's All In the Cards

No, really it is.
In the cards.
Let me start at the beginning.
Okay, maybe not that far back but more like this morning when I still had giraffes on my mind.
Well, I couldn't afford those really big giraffes so I was feeling sort of down. I mean those fake giraffes would have looked really cool in my living room!
So to sort of cheer myself up, I started to look for giraffe related stuff in the most evil of all places, evil eBay.
If you just do a search on "giraffe" it turns out there are like 29,000 giraffe related items for you to peruse.
I didn't exactly have all day.
Okay, I did, but I didn't feel like going through 29,000 items for even giraffes sort of get boring after a while.
I did find something interesting though.
Card art.
I mean art on cards.
Well, not really on cards, more like a format, two and half by three and half inch paper or whatever, but sort of like trading cards:



I just bought the card above on Etsy.
Apparently there's this whole thing going on with these little thingys called ACEO, which stand for Art Cards, Editions and Originals.
You can read more about them here.
What a novel idea!
Not to be confused with an idea for a novel which is a whole different thing.
Anyways, if you do a search on that most evil of sites, a whole bunch of stuff comes up, some original, some limited edition prints.
All very inexpensive.
As far as original art goes.
The art above I got for five bucks, not bad considering it's signed and dated.
I mean anytime I sign and date something, that's like ten bucks for the signature and ten bucks for the date.
Now there were a couple of bicycling related things that really got my attention, like this and this.
So cool in fact that I may bid on them myself!
I really like the ones that use watercolor, or simple pen and ink.
I just think this whole idea of tradable art is awesome!
I mean most of this stuff is under ten bucks, and it's all original!
Okay, it's also sort of small, but that doesn't mean it doesn't take a lot of work.
I make small stuff, and let me tell you, it takes just as much effort in small stuff, to get it right, as it does the full size counterparts.
I don't know about you, the reader, but I can't always afford the full size work of some artists I like, so here's a chance to own something original, albeit mini-sized, for an affordable price.
I'm on it!
Now I'm not exactly sure who I'm supposed to be trading this stuff with, I mean it's not like I'm buying them in packs with sticks of gum.
They're supposed to be originals so it's not like you can get doubles of something.
Still I suppose trading them isn't out of the question though I'll probably end up just collection them.
I like to think that somewhere down the line, I paid for someones lunch by purchasing their little works of art.
Sort of my little way of helping folks to keep doing what they love doing, one card at a time.
I haven't had the chance to really do some research on this movement, but I will.
I may even try some art cards of my own.
As long as I don't have to break out my other card.
The plastic one, I mean.

3 comments:

Steve A said...

Now you got me looking at giraffe-themed bags!

TrevorW�� said...

And me---! You have now got me checking stuff out on the 'Evil'site. Aaaaaaaah !!!

limom said...

Converts to the Giraffe Nation!
Soon, we will rule the world!
Or at least evil eBay.