Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sunday Final

So Mr. Flat Tire, what did you do today?
As a matter of fact, I neva do nuttin.
Which is local for, well, you can figure it out.
Well, I did manage to shorten my life span by eating half a bag of Doritos.
Then I played some Solitaire on the computer:



My best score was like 47 seconds, but I forgot to take a picture of that and it was like a GAGILLION games ago so I don't have any proof.
Don't worry, I'll get it again, probably after another GAGILLION games.
Then I replaced the batteries in my flashlight, which is important for along with the batteries came a little thingy of Tide Instant Stain Remover:



I went around looking for something soiled and stained to try thing out on, product testing is a speciality of mine, but all I could find were my ceramic shorts:



No, my shorts are not made out of some secret Flat Tire Skunkworks material, neither are they actually ceramic, but they soon will be if I don't hose them down.
Those are the shorts I used during my week of ceramic hell, also known as the Craft Fair Project.
Using the stain remover thingy on those shorts just didn't seem fair.
So I was sitting around, wondering what kind of trouble I could get myself into next.
Evil eBay is usually a good place to start for folks list all kinds of stuff that can easily lead to something evil.
Well, if you've been following along at home, you know that I am a licensed ham radio operator(at least until 2016).
I just don't have a radio.
Well, I do have a radio, it's just not working.
So I decided that next year will be the Year of the Repair(YOTR)!
That's right sports fans, I'm going to dig out my old Kenwood transceiver and send it out to get fixed.
Working only the CW band, that's carrier wave for you non-ham folks, I made quite a few contacts, or QSOs.
This was like way back in another life of course.
Anyways, the QSO part came from the card we sent out to confirm a contact:



That's both ends of the United States with Maine on top, followed by Florida and California.
For my loyal fans:



Louisiana on top, with Arizona then Texas.
And finally, my most prized cards from Europe:



I don't know why, but I never did catch the UK.
What I did catch was the BBC, all the time.
Oh, and Radio Australia, you know its Australia because the intro music was Waltzing Matilda.
In other words, short wave radio.
Now what does this have to do with the YOTR(see above)?
Well of course my transceiver catches short wave, but I also got this table top Blaupunkt tube radio from the fifties that I need to restore.
It's got AM, FM, and that's right! shortwave!
I'd show you a picture of it, but it's buried under three years worth of Art in America magazine.
Oh, and my printer is sitting on top of it.
I'll dig it out later.
After I got done with Solitaire, my shorts, and thinking about my transceiver, I started in on evil eBay, looking for a shortwave radio.
That was good for hours and hours of perceived entertainment.
In fact, I'm not done yet.
So anyways, that's what I did today.
It seemed like I did nothing, but I actually planned out one whole years worth of mischief and goofiness!
Just for you!
The reader I mean.
So stay tuned!
There's more to come.
Funding pending.

4 comments:

Steve A said...

Telescopes and now radio. What facet will TFT reveal next?

limom said...

Actually the radio came first!
Sort of.
Just seems like the right time to revisit some things from another life.

John Romeo Alpha said...

SWL over here. Need antenna tips. Slinky antenna no longer cutting the mustard.

limom said...

Physical length.
I ran an inverted vee tuned for the 40m band, if I remember correctly, it was about 69 feet counting both sides with a balun in the middle.
That, I think was a half wave antenna, with each half being a quarter wave lenth of 40m.
Once you get beyond a quarter wave, you start to pick up some db gain, or your antenna starts to "draw in" signals.
I saw some antenna kits when I was looking at the radios, I think Kaito made one as did either Sangean or Grundig.
Some of the loaded antennas work well, but again, physical length is the real deal.
I'll be looking at some of these things when I get my radio.