Thursday, January 6, 2011

Catch of the Day

Sort of.
Well for one person anyways.
I was on my lunch the other day, at my usual spot next to the canal, when I spied a dude fishing, of sorts, down the way a bit:



I watched him for a while, trying to figure out just what he was up to.
See, on his pole was a rather large piece of what I assumed was bait.
Like half a small fish sized piece of bait.
In his other hand, he had a scoop net, about the same length as the little pole he was using.
Every once in a while, he would lift his pole and scoop up whatever he was catching and drop in his bucket.
The thing is, the water here is brackish, about a half mile from the ocean, the canal being fed by one of those valley streams I mentioned before.
The water, let's just say, is not the cleanest.
Okay, it's not very pretty.
Since we're in the urban part of the city, stuff gets dumped in there quite often.
Still, I've seen mullets and barracudas and balloon fish swimming around in the murky water.
So anyways, the dude is making his way upstream, doing his thing, and my curiosity gets the best of me.
I just gotta know what he's doing!
He's catching crabs!



See he's got this piece of fish on the pole and he drags it around near the rocks.
The crabs, being well, crabs, poke their heads out for a look see and just can't resist free food.
They latch on to the fish, the dude lifts the pole, the crab is not about to let go, he scoops the crab!



Now these aren't like big crabs, in fact they're pretty small by crab standards.
Couple three four inches across the back if anything.
Still, if you do the work, a meal when you got like a bucket full.
The water, while a bit dirty, is not polluted or anything and I suppose if you boil em up good, they're good to go.
I used to go crabbing a lot, back in another life.
Our method involved crab nets thrown off the side of bridge.
My crabbing days included more cold beverages than crabs, so it was a favorite past time.
I may bug my brother to take the little boat out and have a go at it again.
Anyways, something not related to crabs, but sort of related to this blog, my new bars are working out well.
Sort of.



Sorry for the black and white, but I was getting all artsy fartsy earlier and forgot to reset the camera.
As you can see, I've got a lot more room on the tops compared to the old bars.
I still haven't worked out all the bugs; I need to rotate the bars a bit more.
I admit, the wider bars feel strange after coming off those petite bars.
They feel great and all, yet for some reason I feel like the size in the middle, 40cm, might work out better.
I'm thinking about it.
Oh, and check out the speed!
That's right!
I was really moving!
Downhill.

6 comments:

Oldfool said...

Years ago I watched a big fat kanaka on the north shore shooting those little crab with a BB gun. He had a bucketful. The little blue crab we have here is abundant and my bride loves them but I think they are to much trouble for what you get.

limom said...

I agree the little ones are a pain, but they're sort of fun!
I got a Samoan crab pincher around here somewhere from those early days. Now that was some good crab!

Steve A said...

What does that "AVS" mean?

limom said...

That's the average speed.
The pic was taken about eight miles into my ride.
By the time I was done, average speed was 14.6,
about a mph faster than on my other bike.

GreenComotion said...

The AVS of 14.6 is awesome! I loved the story about crab fishing.
Peace :)

limom said...

Thanks!
Of course I'd like to try and raise that average speed to like 16 or 17.
I would say that it's fun trying, but it's not.
Really.