Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Restore or Ignore, I Do Implore

Well now.
My sort of best laid plans have gone awry.
Everything was all in place, then a wrench came out of nowhere, and well, you know the rest.
Oh? You don't know?
You know, you start riding a bicycle, and it's like fun, and you try out different kinds of bikes and they're fun too, so next thing you know, you got like a couple of bikes sitting around, but having bikes sitting around is fun too, so you start to want more bikes, even if they're just sitting around.
More bicycles!
MORE BICYCLES!!!
Lemme start from like the middle.
First I had planned to sort of upgrade the Bianchi.
Right now, it is a mix of Campagnolo Mirage and Avanti, eight speed and nine speed stuff.
I was thinking a full Campag Centaur group.
Then I thought, well now, that's a bit much to be putting on this bike, I mean it's like twelve years old and all that.
So somewhere in my convoluted mind, I got the idea of procuring a nice, brand new frame of Italian heritage.
Only I didn't want to spend a bundle.
Colnago and De Rosa need not apply.
What the hell are you doing Mr. Flat Tire? You already got an Italian frame!
Yes, that's true, but it's got some minor things that are bugging me, causing me to lose some sleep.
Okay, not really.
About the losing sleep thing.
Well, maybe.
I don't know what I was expecting from the touch up paint I got, but what I got wasn't what I was expecting.
If you know what I mean.
I started to contemplate repainting the frame.
Then upgrading the group.
Unfortunately, a complete decal set is not available.
At least not the Campione decals.
Getting the frame back to original condition might prove difficult.
Then I started to look at other frames.
For what it might cost me to paint this frame, maybe for a bit more, I could get a new frame!
Can you see where I'm going here?
Does the term 'event horizon' mean anything to you?
Fortunately/unfortunately, the frame I was looking at is no longer available:



At least not in my size.
That made me sad.
It would have made a great Flat Tire Bumble Bee Special(FTBBS).
There are other options though.
More on that later.
Anyways, now I'm back to rethinking the Bianchi.
I mean I can live with the frame the way it is now.
However, I wouldn't mind making it like real nice.
Really really nice.
Except I'm not sure if the frame is worth it.
I mean it would be worth it to me.
Maybe.
Boy, if you only knew the stuff that goes on in my brain late at night, after Law & Order.
Then there's The Flat Tire Black Magic Soul Crusher(FTBMSC), which is due for an upgrade.
I sort of have an idea where I'm going with that too.
Maybe.
Back to the Bianchi.
At the minimum, I want to at least match up the group set and find me a compact crank.
Which is not turning out to be that easy.
Or I could just put a new group on it.
Which takes us back to the top of the page.
Or it may take me to someplace like this:



To tell you the truth, I can't really afford to go there.
Okay, I could go there, but I'd have to hang it on a wall and stare at it for a year.
Or maybe I could hang it from the ceiling and put some lights on it.
That's not very fun.
So, do I restore, ignore, open the door, or sit on the floor.
Sam I am.
I really do implore.
I'll have it all figured out by the time my tax returns come in.
Maybe.

5 comments:

Steve A said...

My sister has a Ciocc and likes it very much. Not that this fact helps you in the least.

John Romeo Alpha said...

La bicicletta sa quello che il cuore ha bisogno.
The bicycle knows what the heart needs.

limom said...

Steve A., read nothing but good things about that frame! Any chance she has one of them San Cristobals?

JRA, that and may the Force be with me.
A bicycle you choos not.
The bicycle chooses you.
Or something.

TrevorW�� said...

After reading this my head has started to hurt...!
You might as well go out and buy a top of the range Italian steed with top of the campo range components all round and have done with it- because it seems to me that you are heading down a slippery slope where you won't be satisfied with anything else.
A real case of Roadie Italian fever..............

limom said...

Well Trevor, there's a whole 'nother story about that train, but I'm saving it for a special occasion.
Besides, it never really ends.
Not really.