Sunday, January 9, 2011

Winter! Brrrrrr!

Boy it's been cold recently.
I mean sweat shirt cold hide under the covers cold put the dog on the feet cold.
I think my teeth were chattering the other night!
Okay, not really.
About the teeth chattering part.
The temperature has been dropping though, like into the sixties at night and today was in the mid seventies.
Brrrrrr!
Another Hawaiian winter:



Winter means waves, humungasoid waves, but Kailua Bay doesn't see any surf. It used to way back when, there were a couple of spots out in the bay, but shifting sands made that a thing of the past.
You can see the possibilities though:



Every so often with an easterly swell, you can see the waves roll in from the horizon.
Nothing like the North Shore though.
Those waves are called things like Mackers and Bombs, for obvious reasons.
Brrrrrr!
I bet that water is cold!
Let me see, outside temperature is like 75 degrees, so the water must be like a frosty 74!
Brrrrrr!
Ice cubes!
This morning, I tried to touch up some of the dings on the Bianchi. When you purchase the paint, there's this disclaimer about how there have been many different shades of celeste over the years, so the touch up may not match exactly, etc.
The paint on my bike is like a pearl, sort of luminescent and it changes color in the light.
Okay, let's see how close this stuff is. I give the area token sanding:



I was going to bust out the Dremel, but it was early still.
Okay, what does the touch up paint look like?



Close but no cigar!
Well, I didn't expect an exact match; I mean pearl is like two coats of different paints.
It was sort of close though. More like the newer celeste which almost looks flat.
That was large spot, under the chain stay, a little smaller than a dime so you can really see the difference.
Luckily, most of the dings are like small nicks, so you can't really tell.
The paint itself is really thick and starts to spider web as soon as you open the bottle.
Touchy stuff to work with.
Get it? touchy stuff? touch up paint? touchy? touch up?
Nevermind.
Anyways, you can't really tell unless you are like looking for it.
Mandatory beach shot:



I wanted to get a better angle of my bike but folks kept walking by!
What they were doing walking about in these freezing temperatures I'll never know.
Brrrrrr!
I'll get some pron pictures some other day.
The bar position is coming around. I ordered the smaller bars, but at the same time I'm getting used to the position I have now.
Sort of.
I put in 31 numbing cold miles today(brrrrrr!) and as I was hunkering along, I did some calculations. To get the hoods were I really want them, I'd have to run like a 60mm stem on a 46 frame.
That ain't happening, so I just better get used to it.
Mandatory winter shadow shot:



I think I need a long sleeve wool jersey to handle this inclement weather!
Brrrrrr!
Oh, and notice the massive quads!

8 comments:

Oldfool said...

We had a winter like that in the Ali Wai back in the '70's. I was reduced to wearing jeans, a long sleeve shirt closing up the boat and turning on the oven. Sunset cocktails at the yacht club was not much fun. We thought we had it rough while there were people freezing to death back in the mother country.
It's only down to 43* here in the south tonight and rainy so I'm burning trees for heat, rail cars of coal for power and truck loads of propane for cooking. Flannel pants, wool shirts and fleece lined slippers to sit inside. Oh the hardship.
Nice bike, dings give it character. If you don't know the story of the dings just make some up.

Steve A said...

I guess it is cold all over. It may even drop into the 60s for y'all. Maybe the frigid cold is why the paint doesn't match.

limom said...

Oldfool, 43 is not pleasant weather, at least not for me. It's been chilly but not so much windy so that helps some.
What you need is a long sleeve aloha shirt.

Steve A., it's called global colding.
The paint not matching makes me want to sand blast the whole thing and repaint it.
I'd think about it harder if I could find a decal set.
Actually, I wonder if the frame is painted or powder coated?

TrevorW�� said...

Seems like your winter is about the same as our summer. I wouldn't mind some of your winter right now.
The paint match seems about passable - but now that you have mentioned sand blasting........!!!

limom said...

Trevor, if I could send you some Hawaiian winter, I would.
Right now, painting the frame is not out of the question as it seems my evil plans may have changed.
Stay tuned.

John Romeo Alpha said...

Paradise!

Apertome said...

Way to rub it in! Glad *someone* has some nice warm weather. Beautiful shots. Too bad the paint isn't a better match, but I wouldn't sweat it.

limom said...

Just wanted folks to know that we here at The Flat Tire are suffering too!
The touch up is okay on the small stuff, it's the large stuff that bothers me.
To no end.