Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Tale of Two Derailleurs

So if you've been following along at home, you, the reader, know that when I changed out the cables on the Bianchi, I found a defect in the cable clamp on the rear derailleur.
My first impulse was to hit up the evilness of eBay and find another.
Not such an easy task as Campagnolo Mirage is an older group and there isn't that much stuff floating around out there in Campagnolo land.
On the other hand, Mirage was like the low end group so I suppose it's not like there are folks out there with Mirage stuff locked up behind some glass case somewhere so they can admire it.
Mirage was also a transition group, going from eight to nine speed, not that it matters as far as the derailleur goes, but Campagnolo chose to label said derailleurs with well, eight or nine speed.
Now I don't know about you, but having a nine speed bike and a derailleur labeled eight speed bothers me.
Just one of those things don't you know.
So I went on a derailleur hunt to replace the broken eight speed one:



How it developed a crack there is beyond me. The area doesn't bear a load or anything so I think maybe it was a casting defect.
Anyways, I've been watching the auctions, waiting patiently for something to come up.
Well, I snapped one up, along with a couple of clamp on front derailleurs I don't need, I got a braze on, and it came in today.
Yippee!
Wait.
It's a long cage.
Bummer:



Yes, I know Mirage had a triple option, it's just that in the picture, I couldn't really tell the difference.
Not really a problem, but you know, it's like having a derailleur made for a triple when I got a double bothers me, so I'll be on the look out for another.
Derailleur, that is.
It also turns out the jockey wheels were really worn so I swapped them out with the short cage one and put them on the old/new one.
You can see the wear on the teeth:




I wish I could have changed the cages too, but it looks like they are swegged on or something.
I'll take it out tomorrow and see how it does.
I figure it's better to put the long cage on there than have that cable clamp break when I'm far from home and having to hammer back in high gear.
Not that my massive legs couldn't do it, just sort of inconvenient.
If you know what I mean.
Also in today, was a bit of frivolity.
Is that even a word?
The celeste madness grows in small increments, seeping into my subconscious and my very existence.
I can't seem to stop!



That's right sports fans!
Celeste cable donuts!
Just when I thought I couldn't go any further, I find a deeper end to go off of.
Celeste cable donuts.
I'm embarrassed to say how much I paid for them.
Going off the deep end is right.

6 comments:

Steve A said...

OMG! What's next, celeste underwear?

John Romeo Alpha said...

Steve you must have missed the celeste underwear post. We've already crossed that bridge. We're looking at celeste sports drink at this point.

Anonymous said...

I think that derailleur would never have snapped in the first place if you had decided on blue or deep orange/red tape on the handlebars.

limom said...

Steve A., celeste underwear?
Will it make me faster?

JRA, I may have just the thing for you.

PaddyAnne, now I'm wondering if there are dark forces at work here.
Color clashing affecting structural integrity.
Or something.

TrevorW�� said...

Reading your blog about your slow but sure decline into total celeste madness is one of the funniest things I've read about in a long time. I am now on permanent Bianchi watch...!

limom said...

Oh oh! it's contagious!
I may have to quarantine the blog.
Or at least the celesteness stuff.