Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday Final

No Presidential sitings today, for I never got a chance to leave Flat Tire Central.
Weather, then some other things occupied my day.
One of them, was picking up some bike bling, nice bling I found on CL.
More on that later.
First, here are some riding impressions of the New Bike(NB).
The cranks are 170s, so I noticed that first off. Making circles seems easier, but different. Feels like I'm riding a kid's bike sometimes, which is close to what this is.
The toe overlap is crazy!



Cruising on the path in park, showing off my new ride, I almost fell down a couple of times in low speed turns.
After that, I got especially self conscious about it, though I expect that will pass.
The bike rides great though.
The other thing is unclipping.
I usually unclip twisting the rear of my foot inwards. With this bike, my foot is so close to the wheel, I almost got my foot caught in there a few times.
Need to remember to clip outwards!
Despite my awkwardness, the bike feels nimble.
I could feel the difference going up the small rollers, I didn't have to downshift, I just powered up.
Massive quads don't you know.
Acceleration is instantaneous, almost feels like the bike isn't there.
I guess it's the rotational weight of the those bigger tires and the extra weight I was pushing.
The main thing is this bike inspires confidence.
Something I didn't have with the Allez.
On the Specialized, I always felt stretched out, awkward, and just on the edge of control.
Just wasn't my cup of tea.
The Bianchi though, feels like a bicycle.
If you know what I mean.
Well, all is not good in Celeste Land, more issues are popping up.
There's like a whirring, clicking, flapping sound when I pedal.
Not the chain(brand new) or anything I can see visually, so I'm thinking the bottom bracket may be toast.
One thing for sure, this bike has some mileage on it.
I'll try and take the bottom bracket apart once I get that Campagnolo BB tool.
The seating position is fine.
The seat though was sort of bothering me.
Upon inspection, I found the rails had some rust on them:




By coincidence, a saddle came up for sale on CL.
I was making my hourly check and there it was.
So today, I went and picked it up:



In the box used once Selle Italia SLK gel for forty bucks!
Couldn't pass that up, especially since I've been thinking of trying out a new saddle.
The thing about the SLK is the independent suspension:



I do a lot of fidgeting on the seat, moving up and back and side to side, trying to find a "sweet" spot.
Okay, I'll admit, I think my derrier is crooked.
I mean it feels like there's more pressure on one side than the other.
I also tend to lean on my left, something I'm trying to correct, but maybe I'm just sort of asymmetrical.
Get it? crooked derrier? asymmetrical?
Nevermind.
So anyways, we'll see how this saddle works.
The new bars should come in this week, which is a good thing for the reach is like primate length.
Looking it up, cause I couldn't believe my eyeballs, the reach on the bars is around 110mm and the drop is like 150+!
Crazy!
All this stuff should make the Bianchi ready to rock on down the highway.
Except for one thing.
Bar tape color.
I was thinking of going celeste, then maybe dark blue, then black and nasty.
Still thinking about it.
Maybe something will come to me in a vision.

7 comments:

TrevorW�� said...

In my book of thinking the bar tape can ONLY be celeste.

Steve A said...

Celeste

John Romeo Alpha said...

I would like to submit my vote for the bar tape color: celeste.

limom said...

Gee thanks guys!
I knew you'd help me come up with some options!

Trevor, I thought about black, then thought maybe celeste might work.

Steve A., I've been looking at other bikes and it finally hit me! maybe I should be different and try celeste!

JRA, I looked at celeste, then at celeste, then celeste. Finally, I said to myself, why not try celeste?

Anonymous said...

OrangeRed for tape, almost opposite on the colour wheel (if I remember correctly).

As for your fidgeting, I rode horses for many years and in dressage (particularly) your horse has to be dead straight - in achieving this many riders found, to their dismay, that they were actually one sided, meaning they are stronger on one side than the other and sat (unnoticeable to the untrained eye) a little more to one side than the other, all contributing to the horse being a tad crooked. Riders correct this by doing exercises only on their weaker side to build it up. You actually may be stronger on one side. Or, perhaps your legs may be different sizes - I also have a friend whose 2 legs are of different lengths!

John Romeo Alpha said...

Stronger-on-one-side is also the reason, I believe, that people walking through open territory with no other navigation aid than "I will walk a straight line" always walk in circles.

limom said...

Paddy Anne, thinking complimentary! Let me think about that one.

JRA, I often think in circles!

Actually I was reading where some folks are lopsided! Have to extend their pedals and all.
I do seem to have a dominant leg, though I'm not sure that's the problem.