Monday, January 17, 2011

Pump it Up!

Elvis Costello is cool.
I mean anyone with the name Elvis has to be, right?
Besides rocking and a rolling, the dude writes symphonies!
Old folks music!
He also did a very nice cover of Cole Porter's Night and Day.
Elvis is not what this is about though.
So, I was sitting in the chair this evening, you know, the chair, getting my oil changed, and I was thinking about that pump going all goofy on me.
First, I gotta mention this other Monday strangeness.
The pump was configured for shrader vavles!
This is strange for all my bikes have presta valves!
Well okay, the Lanikai Express has shrader valves, but I haven't ridden that in some time.
The last time I used this pump was to change the tires on the Bianchi, so I have no idea how that happened.
The shrader valve thing.
Here's the offending pump and the hose part that blew out:




It was easy to fix and the pump still works.
The thing I like about this pump is the thing that failed, the hose, for it makes air pumping easy.
Easier, I mean.
I don't remember what the max PSI was on that thing, though it must be under eighty.
So, as you might expect, I have initiated the Quest For Air(QFA)!
Sort of like the Quest for Tires(QFT), except I got tires and now I need something to fill them with.
In case my bottled air decides to leak snow all over the place again.
Which, it seems, was not the bottled air thingys fault.
The bottled air thingys:



Two very similar but not exactly the same air thingys.
Look the same to me Mr. Flat Tire.
I knew you'd say that.
Upon closer inspection, it seems the bottled air thingy I used today was missing a vital component:



That's right!
The Lord of the O-Rings!
No wonder it was getting all frosty on me.
Not too frosty, for here's something I use my old tubes for:



Some cheap air bottle insulation.
Except of course when you don't have an o-ring and snow leaks out all over your hand.
So anyways, now that this new Quest has been initiated, all my precious time will now be spent searching for the ultimate mini air thingy.
To Pump it Up!
The tires I mean.

3 comments:

Steve A said...

Bottle insulation. Never thought of that.

John Romeo Alpha said...

The Road Morph is the bees knees! I'm following your quest closely.

limom said...

Steve A., you have to change them once in a while for they seem to break down once you cut them up.

JRA, My pump is one of the Mini Morphs though I don't remember which one. Probably one of the MTB versions. Still, it should have gone up to at least a 100 PSI. Maybe it's just old.