Thursday, January 13, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Which it did.
Go away I mean.
After I woke up.
Which was like a half hour ago.
From when I fell asleep three hours ago.
Dreaming of you know what.
Okay, not that!
Italian bicycle frames, don't you know.



The rain was still lurking about when I returned home today, so I played it safe. Unfortunately, Law & Order wasn't on, so I had to make do.
I got some things in mail:




Campagnolo bottom bracket tool and cassette tool.
The cassette tool looks suspiciously like the Shimano cassette thingy, but they are subtly different:



Those pesky Italians, they just gotta be different.
I've also read that some of the Campag cranks got this special wax on wax off thing, I mean press on press off.
Then again, I think the new Ultra Torque stuff uses the same bottom bracket tool as Shimano.
So I've been told.
So was sitting around, pondering my bicycling future, looking at the Bianchi, letting my beer imagination go champagne wild, thinking of all kinds of really evil and semi evil things.
eBay, can't live with it, can't live without it.
Well, I started again with the touch up paint.
Then I got this wonderful idea!



This stuff did a good job of taking off some of the years of grime off the frame. There were also some superficial scratches that came right off.
That was kind of neat considering that restore stuff has to be over ten years old.
Old enough to be considered restorable itself.
Then it suddenly occurred to me that I was waxing my bike!
I don't even wax my car.
Boy, there's something wrong with me, and I'm not sure what it is.
Okay, maybe I do.
Or not.
Then I went ahead and scanned CL:



Vintage Guerciotti.
Which upon checking is now sold.
Thankfully, it was on another island.
I think I need some help.
Or maybe I just need the Sun to come out.

3 comments:

TrevorW�� said...

Waxing the bike Eh ? Definitely one of the early symptoms..........!!

John Romeo Alpha said...

Hmmm, I'd think you'd go with the carnuba racing wax hand ground in Modena and aged in old balsamic vinegar barrels.

limom said...

Trevor, you know, it's like, it's only cause I was, like, bored.
Ah yes, that great river in Egypt...

JRA, racing wax? They got Italian racing wax?
Lemme google that.
Or maybe they got some on evil eBay.