Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Incredible Lightness of Road Biking(ILORB) pt. II

So after coming home from ride today, and lugging around like five pounds of extraneous stuff, I decided to move around some seat bags.
I took the seat bag off the Lanikai Express and took all the stuff out.
Twenty six inch tires don't you know.
I took the seat bag off The Flat Tire Black Ninja Mach Five(FTBNMF) and took all the stuff out of that.
Fat tires don't you know.
Then I took all that stuff and started to put together my Road Survival Kits(RSKs).
Temporarily, for I got another seat bag coming in.
Anyways, first I got all my tire patch kits, some new, and labeled the rest so I wouldn't get confused on which was for which bike:



See the thing is those kits are for like all different sizes of tires, and I put some extra stuff in them, stuffs I might need:



I put in a Power Link, a spare valve stem cap, and that Presta adapter thingy.
I got a similar kit for the FTBNMF.
The Lanikai Express kit has a eight speed Power Link.
So then I got my small 700c tube, a patch kit, some zip ties, the bottled air thingy, and the I-Beam and stuffed it all in the Planet Bike seat bag:



Now it sort of took some rearranging, but I got that seat bag on the Bianchi.
First I though I'd mount the Super Flash to the seat stay, but after looking at it, well, I didn't like it.
So I just moved it all the way down and butted it against the seat clamp.
There was just enough room for the seat bag:



I'm not really liking this set up, the bag touching the light and all. I'm afraid the bag will block out some the Super Flash's super flashing power. I'm also afraid the bag will bounce around on the light and break the mount.
Hopefully the new bag will be a bit smaller and give me some wiggle room.
I'm still contemplating what to do with the pump.
Maybe I'll just carry that in my jersey.
Actually, I wanted to carry all that stuff on me and forgo the bag, but I don't think that's going to work.
What I need is like an inch more of exposed seat tube, but unfortunately, I don't have an inch more of leg.
I'm going to lighten up a bit more, so maybe I can get me one of them micro seat bags.
We'll see how basic I can go.
Before I speak any Famous Last Words(FLWs).
Like: I'm never going to need that.

3 comments:

Steve A said...

Just make sure you carry the right tube. I got a flat once with a wrong one. While it make an amusing blog post, we'd all rather be bored.

BTW, that Celeste touchup paint would make your Superflash match nicely...

John Romeo Alpha said...

Indeed, every square inch of non-celeste on the machine is an opportunity for touch-up at this point. Can the superflash be mounted to a seatstay? The specs seem to say yes.

limom said...

Steve A., I was thinking of that, the paint I mean, or switching it back to the black housing.
You are right about the tubes, I'm going to have to start labeling them, just to be sure!

JRA, I thought about the stay, but it's pretty close to the wheel, and I'd hate for that thingy to come off and jump into the spokes.
It's also on the low side, I'd have to go below the rear brakes, since there while there is room above it, the tire starts to block it out some.
Besides, that would make it asymmetrical, and that's not good!
Then again, I could put two of em on there.
Then then again, I may just hook it to the seat bag.