Thursday, August 18, 2011

Blueness and Hellness

So I was just thinking that it's about time I start naming these posts like how they are supposed to be named and I should use those label thingys the way they are supposed to be labeled.
I mean I was searching for an older post and for the life of me I could not find it.
I know I wrote it, I just don't remember when and due to the Top Secret Flat Tire Cryptography Department(TSFTCD), I just have no clue where it went.
Or maybe I didn't write and it was all in my imagination, in that case I have Post Post Writing Imaginary Blogger Syndrome(PPWIBS).
Or something.
Anyways, some blueness came in the mail today, to replace some black and nastiness.
The shim thingy on my stem was kind of a goner, it was all tweaked and was missing a part so I got me a new one.
Small blue Cinelli goodness:



These inserts are found on Cinelli XA stems and I really don't even know why they are there.
I mean they sort of don't serve any function but I felt compelled to change it out anyways:



Is it to keep out dust and dirt?
Does it act as a shim to prevent over tightening?
A clever marketing ploy by Cinelli go squeeze more money out of folks like me?
Whatever it is, I just had to change it out and get me a blue one.
The old one was black and since I had a choice, well I had to get me the blue.
I gotta say I felt pretty darn silly for you can't even see it unless you look real hard and it's pretty ridiculous to pay for a little piece of plastic.
Still, it was keeping my up at night and now I feel a lot better.
If you know what I mean.
Speaking of keeping you up at night, I got this new book and I can imagine some of the sleepless nights this thing has caused:



That's right self torture fans!
Paris-Roubaix, A Journey Through Hell.
A nice coffee table book by Phillipe Bouvet, Pierre Callewaert, Jean-Luc Gatellier, and Serge Laget, it pretty much tells the story of the bicycle race.
I haven't gotten into actually reading it yet because the photos are just awesomely spectacular.
No really.
It's even better than watching it on TV I swear!
In fact, don't even buy it to read, just get it for the pictures!



Boy, I hope I don't get in trouble for using that image, but I that's what I'm talking about.
All the drama and stuff you don't see, it's right here in this book.
Flat Tire highly recommended.
If you're into that kind of stuff.
It was only like fourteen bucks from a used book seller on Amazon and I swear it's the best fourteen bucks I ever spent!
I mean I gave up a burrito to get this book!
Maybe two burritos.
Seriously if you get this book and don't like it, let me know and I'll buy it from you so that I can have two of em.
One for the coffee table and one to carry around with me while I ride.
For inspiration don't you know.
So anyways, that's what I'm doing tonight, reading up on the Hell of the North.
Maybe I'll have an awesome dream of me a huffing and a puffing and destroying the peloton and making gravel of them cobbles and flying through the dust and the mud and entering the velodrome with my arms raised and...
Okay, maybe not.

5 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

Try to use the internet to find out what that colored shim is for: just try! Futility! My guess, since the internet was not helpful, is as you say aesthetics. Image is everything. Say it.

limom said...

I sleep better at night knowing there are guys like you around.

Tracy W said...

Met some folks this summer that have ridden P-B-P two times. They talked about encountering a lot of manure on the roads...enough that lots of people got sick from drinking out of their water bottles.

When I see that image, that's all that comes to mind....DON'T DRINK FROM THE WATERBOTTLE!

TrevorW�� said...

I have that book and would agree it is well worth the purchase.....

Not sure that I would want to put myself through that level of hell though- not only that, but my bike would get dirty..!!!

limom said...

Tracy W, manure is not a good thing.
I hope that's not what the dude in pic is covered in.
I've read MTB folks put condoms on their bottles to keep them clean.

Trevor, it wouldn't be so bad.
As in the picture I showed, you would at least match your bike!
Besides, if you looked anything like the guy in the picture, you'd look really badass!
Image don't you know.