Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pit Stop

I ride mostly alone.
Seeing as how I only have myself to depend on, I tend to carry around a lot of stuff.
Okay, nothing really more than usual, except sometimes I'll carry an extra tube and maybe a multi tool with some pliers.
Then again, I'm not going places where I'm liable to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Help and home are mostly within walking distance.
Still I suppose there are those to venture out with nary care or inkling about any type of catastrophic failures the road can bring.
Which is why I think these are a great idea:


Core77

Yes I know, the idea for these things have been around for a while, though I've yet to see them around these parts, but this vending machine has a twist.
See that thingy on the left?
There! that red thing!
Click the linky to see more.
Next to the vending machine is a repair stand with some handy tools cabled to it for you to use!
What a novel idea.
I mean purchasing that tube you need isn't going to do you any good if you haven't a pump or lever.
Okay, having the tools just hanging there, tethered with a cable isn't the best solution, but it's a start.
Well a bit more than a start.
It seems these bicycle stuff vending machines are popping up all over!


bitchcakeny

See here to read more.
Some of them have more than just bicycle tubes in them, like T shirts and would you believe it, a Blackberry?
I was thinking about them B Cycle rent a bikes we got and what folks would do if renting them things in the early morning or late evening.
The LBS here doesn't open until 10am, and closes around 7pm.
Maybe having one of these vending machine thingys around would help folks if they got stranded with a flat, and maybe even some of the locals would benefit.
I wonder what one of them used vending machines cost?
I'm sure it wouldn't take much to set one up and install some inventory.
I can also think of a few places where a vending machine such as this would come in handy.
Just think, I could sell like anodized bling and alloy Swarovski crystal goodness to the masses!
Or something.
Okay, it's probably a PITA to maintain what with vandalism and stuff like that, but I think if you look at it as a service, and not a source of income, it could be a rewarding thing to do.
If I can find a really cheap old machine, I might just give this a try.
Maybe.

5 comments:

TrevorW�� said...

I've never seen anything like that over here......mind you it probably wouldn't last more than ten minutes in some of our towns and cities in 'the war zone' called the UK just now.!

-Trevor

John Romeo Alpha said...

Yes! You could add some how-to pamphlets, some chain mugs, and some small dispensers of olive oil for chain lubrication, too.

limom said...

Trevor, I hope you are far from the madness.

JRA, well it was an interesting idea, but apparently there is no such thing as an old cheap vending machine.
At least not on CL.

Steve A said...

Why is that snowboard tool station next to that bike vending machine? Actually, this seems a lot more useful than all that bike share stuff.

Steve A said...

An obvious question is why every LBS doesn't have one of these outside to cater to those wanting a new tube or other common item during the hours the shop is closed.