Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Dremelization of the Shoe Shield

If you've been following along at home you, the reader, know that a while back I switched over from SPDs to Eggbeaters.
The thing about Eggbeaters, and to some extent SPDs too, is that the cleats are sort of hard on the soles of your shoes.
Especially if those soles are made out of carbon goodness.
Part of the reason for the switch was that the outer protective coating was starting to wear out on my soles, using SPDs, and well, the Eggbeaters look kinda cool.
In an omelet making sort of way.
Anyways, Crank Bros. has these things called Shoe Shields, which fit under the cleat to protect your precious carbon sole goodness.
The problem I was having was that they didn't fit into the plastic molded area under the cleat hole thingys preventing me from moving my cleats all the way back, which is my preferred position:



The Shoe Shields are sort of jammed up against that molded section of the sole.
I only have a few millimeters of rear adjustment left, but hey! a few millimeters is a few millimeters and it's like feet when it comes to your well, feet.
If you know what I mean.
So I marked off the area I needed to remove, eyeballing it best I could, and broke out the ole Dremelizer.
Wait!
Don't try this at home unless you got your extra pair of Shoe Shields!



Especially if you are anything like me and have the uncanny ability to make an easy job difficult or worse, impossible.
They don't let me in to the Flat Tire Research and Development Labs(FTRDL).
Anyways, I thought it would be a bit difficult for those things are made outta stainless steel, but the cut off wheel did a great job of nipping those ends off:





The other side took a little more work as I had to go back and grind more material off.
Again, the Dremelizer made short work of the well, work.
Now my two feets can be happy together:



Since switching over, I've always felt like my feets were a bit behind the pedal axis, I hope this is enough to fix it.
As you all know, sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference.
Even if it's only a couple of millimeters off of the corner.
The Flat Tire Quest For Cycling Zen(FTQFCZ), one small tweak at a time.

No comments: