Saturday, August 13, 2011

Green With Envy

More like celeste with envy.
I mean I envy all things celeste.
Especially the stuff not in my possession.
Okay, not really.
Okay, maybe just a little.
Today, while making my potato chip run, I spied a Bianchi in the bike rack.
Closer inspection revealed it to be a early six speed with friction shifters, lugged with Columbus tubing.
Possibly in my size.
I'd like a Bianchi with Columbus tubing.
Why, I dunno.
I think it's that little dove sticker thingy:



Before I could get out the camera for a pic, the folks that were responsible for the bicycle arrived and began to unlock it from the rack.
Said her neighbor gave it to her and no, she wasn't really considering selling.
"Hope you find one," she said as she rode away. "Craigslist."
I don't know why, but this irritated me a bit.
Her bicycle, while it was lugged and had those B pantographs on the fork and seat stays, was not in the greatest condition.
Hawaiian patina, we call it.
Rust to the rest of the world.
I think I was irritated for I was a bit envious.
Here was a Bianchi I coveted, riding away from me.
Not the first time.
A few weeks back, this came up on CL:



A Campione d'Italia, also lugged with Columbus tubing.
Oh boy!
In the hour or so that I leggomyeggo waffled about it, the listing was removed.
Gone!
The reason for my waffling was that it was in the same condition as the bicycle I saw today.
Lot o'Hawaiian patina.
Still, I felt sort of depressed when I realized someone else had bought it.
Maybe even jealous.
I just can't get out of my head that I want, no make that need, a lugged Bianchi.
Okay, maybe I am.
Getting it out of my head I mean.
As I was walking back to my car, armed with an assortment of potato chips, I started thinking about those two bicycles.
My eyeballs covet, but my brain says leave it.
For one thing, I already got a Bianchi.
Right here, right here! in my living room.
My Bianchi.
It's pretty darn nice if I do say so myself.
The important part is that I made it mine.
I mean it's got all the stuff on it that I wanted it to have, and more.
Swarovski crystal blingness don't you know.
It's not a six speed free wheel friction shifting square tapered vintage machine, it's mostly modern except for the frame.
The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I already have the bicycle I want.
Sure it's got some chips in the paint, but it's clean and it's straight.
Can't ask for much more.
Right?
Well, yes you can!
A clean and straight lugged Columbus tubed Bianchi!
In my size of course.
I've decided that until one of those comes along, I'm not going to envy(or covet) anyone elses Celeste Devil.
I mean I have the bestest Bianchi of them all.
I seriously wanted to tell that girl today to clean her bike, and to get rid of that red and white candy cane bar tape.
A serious Bianchi faux pas!
Besides, now that I know a little better and can see a little deeper(as far as knowing what it will take to bring a vintage machine up to Flat Tire Standards), I'm not just blinded by the celest anymore.
I think.
Yup, I've already got the bicycle I want.
Besides, those Colnagos are looking pretty good.
If you know what I mean.

No comments: