Monday, August 8, 2011

I Gots To Know

Here we go again.
I don't mean to do it, I really don't.
I mean I'm from the if it ain't broke don't fix it school, or maybe it's the keep using it until it brokes school.
Sort of how I'm dealing with my latest creak sproing.
I was just gonna keep riding it until it starts to grind.
More on that later.
Anyways, I'm finally on the happy side of my seating position.
This comes after a bunch of reading and a bunch of adjustments and and bunch of experimenting.
A bunch I say!
I mean I'm finally at a point where I'm not thinking, too much, about where my rear, my legs, my feets and my arms are, relative to the bicycle.
Well okay, that's not entirely true, for I still have to consciously straighten out my back as I'm used to being all hunched over.
The fatigue in my neck is subsiding as is the discomfort in my hands.
All good things.
Well, being a diabolical sort of person, I just can't leave things alone.
I'm always wondering what if, if this then that, or maybe if that, then this.
If you know what I mean.
So I got this:



That's right Deda fans!
A new, slightly longer stem.
Okay, to most of you folks out there, it would actually be a slightly shorter stem, but seeing as how I am of short stature but massive thighs, this is slightly longer for me.
I gotta admit, at this stage in the game, I'm very hesitant to change what I suppose works well, but I can't help it.
I just gots to know.
So anyways, that's sort of where I am, I don't really want to know, but I got's to know just exactly what this slightly longer stem will do.
It's not really that bad for it's not like I'm throwing the old stem away and if I gotta go back well, I have detailed files.
The only thing that can happen is that it doesn't work out and I gotta take it off and put everything back again.
I guess the real question is: do I feel lucky?
Okay sorry, that was pretty bad.
Speaking of bad, I sort of lied about that creak sproing and running until it starts grinding though that wouldn't be too far from the truth.
The noise was getting louder and more irritating and began to sound like a creak sproing crinkle.
Well I figured the creak sproing crinkle had to be the chain, so I came home and doused it, the chain, not the bicycle, with Prolink and the noise went away.
I don't know if the chain is just old, it measures out okay, or if my massive CVT thighs and the 3.5 GAGILLION watts of power may have discombobulated it.
So I cleaned it, the chain and the bicycle, and am soaking the links in Chain-l as I type.
I'll take it out, the bicycle and the chain, tomorrow, new stem and all and see how it goes.
Yessiree bob, I'm feeling pretty lucky.
Maybe.

No comments: