Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sunday Early Edition

So if you, the reader, have been following along at home, you know that I've been a tweaking and adjusting my seating position.
I've been reading a lot about it, and it seems everyone has their own theories and recommendations.
Move the seat back, move the seat forwards, drop the bars and lengthen the stem, raise the bars and shorten the stem; it's all there.
I guess the thing to do is take each theory with a grain of salt, try it and see what works best for you.
That makes a lot of sense for physically, while humans may look the same, we're all a bit different and what may work for you, won't work for me.
I also think that the body can adapt, and that makes position adjustment more difficult for in my case, what did not work eight months ago, now feels acceptable, dare I say comfortable.
I have to admit, most of my present changes were based on a Monkey See, Monkey Do(MS,MD) sort of thing.
I kept seeing all these road bikes with a rather large seat to bar drop and I kept thinking, all these folks can't be wrong.
I mean what are they doing that I ain't doing that allows them to drop their bars so low?
Then I started to think about all them tri bicycles, and those folks riding on the aero bars and it began to dawn on my that maybe I was going through the whole position thing wrong.
Those folks, like my brother was, get down real low and can stay there all day.
Monkey see, monkey wanna do.
There are some exceptions:



Or maybe a case of blindness.
Okay, I understand trying to make your bicycle fit so that you're comfortable and all, been there done that, but even I understand that setting up your stem like that isn't a good thing.
All you have do to is take a look around at all the other bicycles out there and see that 99.99999% of all stems face forwards, and not skywards.
I suppose that stem is adjustable, but I don't think the designers had that in mind.
Maybe that person was trying to be innovative.
Or something.
Like this:



This person was going for that '70s laid back ten speed look.
Unfortunately, the bars didn't seem to make it all they way back.
Just how are you supposed to apply the brakes?
I find it hard to imagine any torturous hand position that would allow you grab them levers.
At least this person took stopping into consideration:



I died a little bit inside when I saw that one.
At least it isn't celeste.
It also looks like you can grab a hand full of ergo and still shift and brake.
Actually I shouldn't be making fun of these folks.
I mean I try to keep an open mind, but something tells me decades, no make that a century of bicycle design can't be wrong.
Still, just because I never saw it before doesn't mean it doesn't work.
Just because they didn't know any better doesn't mean it's wrong; out of the mouths of babes and all that.
If you know what I mean.
I won't be trying those newfangled bar positions though.
I already trimmed my cables and I don't think I can get that kind of rotation.
Maybe on my next bicycle.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Okay, not really.
Well, maybe.

2 comments:

Steve A said...

I think those photos prove lots of things seem to work for people. On my cross bike, the handlebar is noticeably higher relative to the saddle than my road bike.

limom said...

I agree you gotta go with what works, but those examples I think are pretty extreme.
Even for me.