Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tuesday Thoughts

First of all, the Great Stem Experiment(GSE) is over.
At least for now.
I tried out that new stem and it just wasn't working.
I wanted it to work, I really did, but it just was not to be.
So I went back to the old stem, which now feels like a new stem.
Sort of.
I figured I been messing around with my position too much and I think I'll get used to the seating before I mess around with the reach again.
Now I guess I can delete all those stems on my eVil eBay Watch List.
So today, I'm riding around on the old stem, which must have been a good thing for I think I actually passed someone.
I think it was some older gentleman.
I started off today hitting it hard, and I was a huffing and a puffing in no time.
It doesn't take much to get me a huffing and a puffing don't you know.
So I'm riding along and the usual stuff is going through my head:
Who's idea was this?
How long can this go on?
Boy, it's been a while since I listened to some Devo.
If I can just make it to that light post, I'll stop.
I really should stop eating all those frozen pizzas.
They say that physical stress should be equal to mental stress and today wasn't really a stressful day so why bother?
My legs hurt.
If I turn here, I can get my cream soda right now.
Turn here! turn here! nevermind.
That's a pretty cool lookin' mailbox.
Womp!
Gee, my heart rate is getting sort of high, maybe I should ease up.
Ease up on those pizzas.
What's for dinner?
I'm gonna crush the soul of that little girl!
Shredded beef burritos and some salsa.
Guacamole.
That little girl just gave me The Look!
I really should pick those avocados.
What should I post about today?
That's right little girl, go home and cry to mama!

Etc, etc.
Well I've been working on riding in a larger gear lately, but since I'm on the Ciocc and The Big Ring is like a 85T or something, I'm still on the small ring.
I'm down in the middle of the cassette now and that's a good thing but boy am I a huffing and a puffing!
So I start thinking like no pain, no gain and that I really should pick those avocado's.
Well this goes on for like twenty miles or so, I'm punishing myself and it's really difficult to keep my train of thought.
If you know what I mean.
Then, all of a sudden, I'm into the home stretch, which is like into the wind, and I notice that I'm not a huffing and puffing no more.
This usually means that I'm going really slow.
Okay, make that slower.
I look down at the ole prevaricating Garmin and my heart rate is actually sort of high!
That's sort of strange cause I'm not really breathing hard.
Now all sorts of things start going through my head:
Hmmmmm, this is strange.
I wonder if it's time to change the batteries in the chest strap.
That's a pretty cool mailbox.
I wonder if this is what happens if I quit smoking?
Wow! I'm impressed!
Maybe my heart already blowed up.
Watch out for that glass!
This would make a really cool blog post.
Where is that avocado picker?

Etc, etc.
Well, I'm sort of hoping this was a sign that my fitness is improving and not some cruel anomaly.
Like this was my one good day on the bicycle and next time it will be back to pedaling penance and exploding thighs.
I'd like to think that working in a higher gear is helping, and all that industrial strength perspiration was not for nothing.
Or something.
Anyways, I guess we'll see next time out.
I can hardly wait.
Sort of.
Now, where is that avocado picker?

2 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

Your fitness is improving. Avocados have an excellent lipid profile that would be helpful to consume in limited qty, too.

limom said...

Or maybe I was dreaming again.
Those avocados are for real though.