Tuesday, January 3, 2012

For My Next Trick

Vog.
It's what we call volcanic smog.
The Big Island of Hawaii has got to be about a hundred miles away, but when the wind gets calm or blows Kona, meaning from the south, we get vog across the island chain:



Nice weather don't get me wrong, but when the wind is Kona, it gets hot and muggy.
So instead of hitting the road, I hit the water hose and washed down my bicycles.
It's been a while since I cleaned the chains so that was also done.
I actually had to clean The Big Ring!
Anyways, last week I took some stuff over to the bicycle co-op place, Kvibe. I dropped off three frames and some wheels and in exchange I picked this up:



Just an old steel frame, one with a stuck seat post, that I can cut up and use for brazing practice.
To cut it up, I had to dig up the industrial stuff:



What I'll do is cut off the welds, smooth the tubes down then try and braze it back together.
Wait!
I need to mitre them so I had to dig up my hole saws:




Now them things don't cut perfectly.
It says 25mm, but you gotta give or take a few mm's mainly cause they are not perfectly round.
I'll probably have to cut long and do some filing to get a real perfect mitre, but I'm not really worried about that right now, I just want to see what it's like to braze together some thin tubes.
Unfortunately I don't have any flux, the welding place was all out when I got my torch so I'll be checking back this week to see if they got any in.
Then I'll cut that puppy up and do some magic.
Maybe.
I was going to start cannibalizing the frame today, but I go back to work tomorrow so I decided to take it easy and watch some Law & Order.
Hopefully I'll start in on that frame this weekend.
I'm also working on another small project:



My last meal so to speak.
You know, before I go back to the real world.

2 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

That's a great way to get practice tubes, although it might violate my "no new bikes in 2012" resolution--does it count if I cut it up into pieces? Also, is vog sometimes sulfurous?

limom said...

It doesn't count as a bicycle unless it has wheels.
Consider it brazing fodder.

The vog is sulfurous, not so much by the time it gets here.
On the Big Island, it's a major health hazard.