Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday Early Edition

So yesterday, as I was acquiring the items for my welding table, I also came across from metal mesh stuff thingys.
Sort of like the stuff used to make roads or runways by the military, which is where it probably came from since around these parts there is still a large amount of military surplus stuff floating around.
A metal mesh is good to cut on, since the blow through has somewhere to go, mainly down, and is not reflected back at you.
Since it's still a lot of heat, the mesh needs to be sort of on the thick side, like this:



I've cut over some thinner stuff and well, it just doesn't last.
Because them mesh things are pretty darn large, I'll take a portable oxy-acetylene kit back there to cut it up.
Hopefully next Saturday.
The shelf I plan to make consists of a metal shelf:



The steel shelf is sort of necessary not only for heat protection, but also if I do any MIG welding, the ground can be clamped directly to the table.
The shelf will be bolted up to the angle iron I cut up yesterday:



I think the mesh will cover half the shelf, so that half will be for cutting, the other half for welding and brazing.
I don't think I need much space since I'll be only working on small stuff.
I gotta gotta go to the Man Store today and get some bolts to well, bolt it up.
Or I have this old entertainment center thingy, the kind where the TV can be rotated on top, so if the shelf fits, I may just use that for now.
More on that later.
I'm getting all this ready for the flux came in at the welding place:



Now I can start a cutting and a brazing and a cutting and a brazing.
The metal top, the shelf, will be useful as to hold the pieces of whatever you are working on in place you use these large magnets, which I still need to get.
Or you can clamp stuff up, but seeing as how I'm working with tubes, that may be sort of difficult.
Maybe I can get some Hot Brazing Action!(HBA!) going later today.
Sparks will be a flying!
You know, after I finish watching Law & Order.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Fancy

TrevorW�� said...

'Hot Brazing Action' eh?
Sounds pretty dubious to me....
I think that I would stick with 'Law & Order'.

-Trevor

limom said...

Mark, more like ghetto.

Trevor, just wait!
It's going to be hot! hot! hot!
Maybe.
No, definately hot.